Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler - unsteady voltage

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 1313 times

Old 12-27-2018, 04:59:52 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Kohler - unsteady voltage

I think you should unplug the TV. The TV is likely still using power when in standby mode - off. The only way to know for sure is to completely isolate it. Put a decent amount of load on the generator and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2018, 10:58:43 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekrider2001 View Post
I also measure the power consumption of the TV (using a Kill-A-WATT) and it ran between 125 -510 watts. The lighter the scene on the TV the more power. Also I measure VA and Watts. The VA was always higher by maybe 25%. Hard to tell as the power fluctuates with what is playing and I have to toggle between these settings. So the problem exists (not as bad) with the TV off; there does not need an excessive load to create the problem; during the drop outs I could hear any difference in the generator noise (ie it did not labor or change pitch).
25% different between VA and Watts implies about a 0.75 power factor. Not great, but not horrible either (0.8 is usually the dividing line between good and bad for power factor). If your TV is drawing power in very brief spikes, your meter might not be responding quickly enough to give a good reading.

Try muting the TV and listening to it. See if you can hear any strange sounds from itís innards that line up with the voltage cycling you see.

Bill
Old 12-27-2018, 12:13:36 PM
Registered-I

No noise from TV... mind you, it is a flat screen plasma screen, so I would not know where such noise is coming from. As to the PF, it is hard measure accurately, so 5% points one way or the other is easily within "the margin of error". In response to Mark, yes without the TV connected (unplugged) and a load, I get the fluctuations. They are not as severe and are slower to build, but they are there. So is this; 1) a bad ADC 2100; or 2) a voltage gain adjustment issue on the ADC 2100; or 3) Dirty brushes (although this item has been discounted in earlier comments on this thread); or 4) something else?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:56:39 PM
Registered-III

You might try reseating all the pluggable electrical connections inside. Youíd be amazed how many times Iíve fixed things with nothing more than a unplug/plug-in cycle on all the connectors. If anything seems loose while youíre doing that, tighten it up. That might be all you need to do, and itís both relatively easy and free

Bill
Old 01-02-2019, 07:55:39 PM
Registered-I

good idea! I removed the ADC2100 and in the process disconnected and reconnected all the cables. Then I tried the test again. Well, I could not trigger the oscillating voltages. Same test as last time, oven on, TV on. The lights, however, really dimmed and the TV actually went off when something (load) kicked in. Is this normal that a load will cause such a voltage drop or does that still indicate something is not right, or marginal?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:06:24 PM
Registered-III

Itís only normal to have a big voltage dip if yours starting a large load (large relative to the capacity of the generator). Does the engine bog down badly when the voltage drops? That would be a governor adjustment. If the engine seems to recover ok, then you need to try a voltage regulator gain adjustment to improve load response.

If you canít adjust your way to stable voltage, then you are probably back to diagnosing parts in the unit.

Bill
Old 01-04-2019, 01:12:02 AM
Registered-I

The generator does not bog down. Adjust the gain is something I considered but which way? Lower or higher? And why would I suddenly need to change this when it was working in the past.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:02:33 PM
Registered-III

Higher gain = faster response

Too high a gain setting will result in instability (constant voltage fluctuations).

It would be unusual to all of a sudden need to change that setting. Usually itís a set and forget kind of setting.

Bill
Old 01-06-2019, 03:35:34 AM
eMail NOT Working

Before you go through that trouble...

Go to your utility panel... find the circuit powering the TV. Shut off the breaker, pop it out of the panel, disconnect the wire, clip off a half inch, strip, and reinstall, and torque the screw down snug... then reattach breaker. Disconnect neutral wire, clip off a half inch, strip and reinstall, with good torque.

Remove receptacle from outlet, clip and strip the wires, replace old receptacle with new. Turn breaker on, reconnect TV...

Try again. ;-)

If it still does it, throw your main disconnect, and disconnect, clean, and reconnect your L1, L2 and N connections at the panel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 10:57:55 AM
Registered-III

Dkamp is right. You might have a loose connection somewhere other than the genset itself. Itís a long shot in this case, but worth checking. Make sure all the lugs are tight. At work, we do checks with infrared cameras periodically to make sure everything is tight (loaded loose connections get hot). Youíre also supposed to cycle all your circuit breakers off/on at least once a year, although almost no one actually bothers to do that.

Bill