Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler Electric Plant 15R61 low output

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 646 times

Old 01-10-2019, 12:58:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: Kohler Electric Plant 15R61 low output

Thanks everyone for your input. Sorry it took so long to get back to this, but with the holidays, and caring for my disabled wife, I'm really busy.

I'm sure I could fashion a band out of brass or copper, but the original band is pretty strong "springy" steel, and I don't know if a softer metal would work for long?

I thought I might just swap out one or both resistors, if they're not too costly. I got some Kohler info on them, and my model specifies either 4 ohm or 2.5 ohm resistors, with my variation specifying the 2.5 ohm unit. With my cheap VOM, which "zeros" out at 1.3 ohms, I measured 4.0 ohms across each resistor, so (4.0 - 1.3= 2.7 ohms), close enough to 2.5 ohms. The lower right resistor, with the band intact, measures (1.7 - 1.3 = 0.4 ohms) effective resistance, and the one with the broken band measures (2.8 - 1.3 = 1.5 ohm) resistance to the point where the band was situated.

I even got an original Kohler part number for the resistors, which is probably pretty useless at this point, but for reference, it's #265241.

I'll look at the rectifier issue once I get this squared away.

Thanks all,
Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh0t For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2019, 01:53:11 PM
Registered-III

I think those resistor bands were usually made from something like tin plated brass. I doubt very much they were ever made from steel, and Iím sure not stainless steel. Myself, Iíd probably look for some tin plated brass or copper, and if I couldnít find that, Iíd just use brass sheet. Itís not very critical.

I wouldnít trust your meter for those very low ohm readings. Even the oxide on the surface of whatever you poke the probe at to make a measurement can result in big errors. You might want to try the poor-mans low-ohm measuring technique: use a light bulb and put the resistor in series with it. Measure the current drawn. Measure the voltage across the resistor. Resistance can be calculated as V/I=R, so divide the voltage you measured across the resistor by the current you measured (in amps) to get the resistance of the resistor. This will be more accurate in many cases than trying to measure the resistance directly with a normal ohmmeter.

Bill
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57:25 PM
Registered-II

Lots of those "adjustable" bands were made from tin-plated steel as used in many different electrical applications (not just generators). Retired now; but, have seen quite a few rusted-through during my "working" life.

Regards, JLB
The Following User Says Thank You to BergmanJ For This Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 01:05:55 AM
Registered

Here's the latest everyone. I was able to buy a couple Ohmite steel replacement bands on eBay for $6 and change. They were 5 days late on delivery, but worth the wait. When the latest storms blew through we lost our power, so I started to fashion a band from plumbers' strapping. Setting the steel band on a 1/4-20 nut, and using a center punch, produced a nice dimple in the band. Then the lights came back on, and project home-made-band was abandoned.

When they arrived, I soldered one of the new bands in place, and positioned it where the old band sat. Cranked it over, and it's putting out 115V on each leg. Are these variable resistors used to balance the output of the two legs? How closely do the voltages have to be, when they're combined to get 230V? I'm not sure how that works in real life.

Yes, all the connections on this unit need a good cleaning.

I had to quit for the night, but this was great news. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:48:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,354 Posts

You can slide either or both bands to give you the presently accepted 120V. They affect the field so the output of both legs will be the same within a volt or two.

Glad you found the problem and fixed it. Ain't this place fun!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:39:42 PM
Registered

Yes, isn't the internet great!

I'll pull the resistors out and clean all connections when I get time, and reset to 120V.

Thanks to all you Smokstak peeps!
Harry
Old 01-26-2019, 06:23:57 PM
Registered-III

Careful when you clean those resistors. Only clean GENTLY and PARALLEL to the resistance wire ó donít rub across it perpendicularly! Resistance wire is very brittle and breaks easily. Ask me how I know...

Bill
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55:22 PM
Registered

Thanks Bill. I carefully cleaned the windings with an emory board, yes parallel. I appreciate learning from your mistakes, ha, ha. Harry