Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 20RZ82 Not starting/No Fire

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 593 times

Old 02-10-2019, 06:46:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: Kohler 20RZ82 Not starting/No Fire

Would you be able to tell me what/how this selector knob works?

What would I need it to be set to for a standard 240V Single phase home?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	328363  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31:00 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieBott View Post
Would you be able to tell me what/how this selector knob works?

What would I need it to be set to for a standard 240V Single phase home?
It just picks meter options, basically what you want the meters to see. Lower text is where itís reading voltage, upper text is which leg itís reading for current (amps). You donít use the 3 phase positions on the right when itís connected for single phase.

The two lights are just set with a manual connection inside the controller to tell the operator which of the meter scales applies (the volt meter has a low-voltage scale and a high voltage scale printed on it).

To configure the generati for 120/240 split phase (single phase) output, you need to connect the 12 generator leads as shown on the diagram that should be inside the panel on the generator end housing. You might also need to adjust the voltage adjustment screw on the front of the controller a bit. You want the ď80 ampĒ breaker installed too ó the 480v configuration I think used a 30 amp breaker.

Bill
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36:01 PM
Registered

I just noticed that breaker said 80 on it. I also noticed that you put "80 amp" in quotes. Why is that?

I'm a bit confused as to how I can run my whole home, which currently has a 200 Amp service, on this generator, if it only has an 80 amp breaker, which being a 20kw should be more than capable of doing. Am I missing something here?.....
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51:56 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
I just noticed that breaker said 80 on it. I also noticed that you put "80 amp" in quotes. Why is that?
Just to make it stand out, no other reason. The 20RZ shipped with two different breaker options depending on the voltage configuration. 120/208/240 was an 80A breaker, 277/480 was a 30A breaker

Quote:
Iím a bit confused as to how I can run my whole home, which currently has a 200 Amp service, on this generator, if it only has an 80 amp breaker, which being a 20kw should be more than capable of doing. Am I missing something here?.....
Your home likely never uses anywhere near the full 200A capability of your service. Average load of houses over a large area is about 1kw per house (this is the number utility companies use). If you have a transformer dedicated to your house only, itís likely 25kva (104A at 240V) or less.

I have a 20RZ on my house here, which is rated for 18kw when configured for single phase operation. With everything in my house running, I can only get yo to around 12kw or so. Your 20RZ will probably have no trouble running your entire house.

Bill
Old 02-11-2019, 02:41:05 AM
Registered

How many hours are these things normally good for? The one I have has 487 hrs, I'm not sure how accurate it is but as the motor runs it counts, I have yet t run it long enough to see if it's accurate.

One thing I have noticed is an emergency stop is not present on this unit. How do you stop it in an emergency. Once it is running, if I move the switch to the off position it still runs for a bit, which I will assume is a cool down period.

Also this thing is purely manual. What kind of signal does this thing look for to make it automatic? Could I use any automatic transfer switch? Or what would I need to look for?
I have a small red and black pair that is taped off inside the transfer switch, I have yet to trace it back to see where it leads. I just assume they where the signal leads at one time when the automatic switch was functional.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:43:35 AM
Registered

Hour meter attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	328402  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59:21 AM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
How many hours are these things normally good for? The one I have has 487 hrs, I'm not sure how accurate it is but as the motor runs it counts, I have yet t run it long enough to see if it's accurate.
Tens of thousands for the base engine if it is maintained properly. Those hours are in line with what a normal standby set would have if pulled from a working environment after getting "too old".

There will be a small wire 3 and 4 in the wiring area somewhere. Set the switch to auto, connect them together, it starts. Disconnect them, it stops.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:20:31 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
487 hours is practically new! I have two 20RZ sets, one has around 500 hours like yours and is basically new. I put in new platinum spark plugs a few years ago (there is a thread here on the Stak about that), and replaced the thermostat (which turned out to be unecassary). I did a coolant flush too. All that was just preventative maintenance though, the unit runs fine.

The other 20RZ is at my dads place. It has around 5,000 hours on it and still runs fine. Last year I replaced the brushes in the 12v alternator (which was getting flaky but is fine now), and did a collant flush. I put platinum plugs in it too maybe 10 years ago. The only thing I notice is the oil on this one is a little dirtier at oil change time. Itís never failed to start or run though and is a reliable unit.

Iíve always been told youíll reliably get about 8,000 hours on one of these before you might have to start doing some more involved maintenance. Keep up on your oil changes, do periodic coolant flush (at least every 5 years is the usual recommendation), and these gensets will last a looong time.

Bill
Old 02-11-2019, 06:36:33 PM
Registered

I ran the generator today hoping to try and put a load on it, but after about a min of running, The Axillary Fault light comes on and it shuts down. If I put the switch to the off position and back to run it cranks and runs fine again for about a min. What is that fault?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03:47 PM
Email NOT Working

That is the fault that catches everything not otherwise on the display.

Usually the low coolant level switch. Check water level and/or disconnect switch and see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post: