Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

My little Kohler Substation

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 1007 times

Old 02-04-2019, 04:46:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,049 Posts
Default Re: My little Kohler Substation

Just a guess, you will need to test to be sure. From the size of the studs I would say it's direct reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 05:12:47 PM
Registered-III

Is there another way to test short of just putting it inline? I dont have any of the equipment suggested.

I spent all morning cleaning up the parts that came in today. After installing the carb, fuel shutoff valve, gas valve and intake oiler, I plumbed a demand regulator and new LP line with shutoff. I opened the gas valve as described in the manual and then turned the gasoline needle off at the fuel pump. As the engine sputtered to quit, I opened the valve to the demand regulator and just like clockwork she fired right up on LP! I had to adjust the gas valve a bit to the 1200w load and it just sits there an purrs. Its been a fun journey so far. Today was very rewarding.

Does anyone have any factory paper that tells what grade oil goes in the intake oiler and what the drip rate should be? Pretty sure the residual oil in the jar had some Marvel in it. It had that same smell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	327904  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cushway For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 05:39:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,490 Posts

Beautiful. You even have an original stand. I have read on here that some considered the intake oiler to be snake oil. I have no idea if that is true. Maybe they meant to put snake oil in it.

For the meter, hook it up in series with one of the output lines from your set and apply a 5 ampere load. If it goes full scale, you need a current transformer. If it reads 5 amperes, you're all done. If it reads something else, or goes beyond full scale, you have a screwy meter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 06:56:37 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cushway View Post
Is there another way to test short of just putting it inline? I dont have any of the equipment suggested.
You really need to put a known load on the meter and then see what it reads. If it was a DC ammeter there would be other ways to do it, but AC is trickier.

I’d use a 1A load, not 5A like vanman suggested. Most CTs are 5A out, but you have a small meter and it might go full scale with less. You don’t want to burn out your meter during your test. Best to start with a low current.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your meter is direct reading. If you don’t have the transformer and 12v light bulb, a 100 watt bulb on 120v will draw the same 0.83 amps. You could try that, but I’d try to have the meter mounted in a grounded panel just in case (probably not necessary, but being cautious doesn’t hurt).

Bill
Old 02-04-2019, 08:15:09 PM
Registered-I

The ammeter is probably a moving iron type as the scale looks a bit non-lnear especially at the low end. Moving Iron meters respond to DC as well as AC. So you could test it on 5A DC.

For your voltmeter you will be making connections to 120 or 240 Volt. I would recommend a fuse in the wires to the Voltmeter. A 1A fuse should be enough provided it has sufficient breaking capacity, ie rated at 240Volts AC or higher.

I would also loom the ammeter wires and voltmeter wires away from other wiring and keep the ammeter wiring separate from the voltmeter wiring. I would also use good quality crimps or lugs on the ammeter with locking nuts. Insulating caps for the studs are available but a large wire nut may work as well.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Radiomike For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45:46 PM
Registered-III

Confirmed as direct reading. 800w load, 125v.....6.4A

I'll readjust using a full load at whatever voltage that it pulls down to. Maybe average the difference of the two loads. My matching 0-150 voltage meter will get mounted tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	327915  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cushway For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01:26 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomike View Post
For your voltmeter you will be making connections to 120 or 240 Volt. I would recommend a fuse in the wires to the Voltmeter. A 1A fuse should be enough provided it has sufficient breaking capacity, ie rated at 240Volts AC or higher.
A regular 1-1/4x1/4” glass body fuse will work for this purpose since they are rated 250V.

+1 about using crimp lugs for these connections. I highly recommend the AMP PIDG terminals and the Solistrand terminals. Both are FAR superior to the hardware store terminals.

The studs on your meter are probably brass, or maybe silicon bronze (which is a coppery color). Use brass nuts on those studs. The studs are often fine pitch threads too so be sure to get the correct nuts.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyr7 For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15:10 PM
Registered-III

Thanx for all the input guys! I very much appreciate the suggestions.

I will install a 4x glass fuse panel inside the breaker box tomorrow for the voltmeter and hobbs. I ran new 8ga leads from the genny to the breaker box thru the amp meter. Yes, I use quality copper crimp-on lugs anywhere possible.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,490 Posts

Sweet!

Remember that the voltmeter will essentially read battery voltage when connected to the output of your automatic Kohler when no load is present on the line. Eventually this would discharge the battery. To avoid this, the voltmeter can be connected upstream of the Generator Relay, the center one in the controller.

For that matter, any load that you want to power whenever the set is running, but NOT have control over starting and stopping, can be connected there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 11:06:12 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cushway View Post
Thanx for all the input guys! I very much appreciate the suggestions.

I will install a 4x glass fuse panel inside the breaker box tomorrow for the voltmeter and hobbs. I ran new 8ga leads from the genny to the breaker box thru the amp meter. Yes, I use quality copper crimp-on lugs anywhere possible.
Cut a piece of clear plastic (I recommend polycarbonate for this) maybe 1/16” or so thick, mount it a little bit above the fuse panel on standoffs. This is assuming open fuse holders, no need if they’re the panel-mount round insulated kind. The plastic panel might save your azz someday if something comes loose in the control compartment.

Bill