Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Frequently Asked Kohler Questions

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 36177 times

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16:42 AM
Administrator

Thanked 12,845 Times in 2,194 Posts
Default Frequently Asked Kohler Questions

Check the F.A.Q. on our main generator board: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47155
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 11:33:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default When was my Kohler made? (and other questions)

Check out this web site maintained by Peter and Rita Forbes.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...ler/Kohler.htm

and also at:

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Kohler/Kohler.htm

Peter has done an exemplary job of finding the information and getting it up on the net for everyone to use.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:47:29 PM

Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,197 Posts
Talking Re: Frequently Asked Kohler Questions

Folks!!, When you ask our Resident Smart Guys for help, Please give us ALL the information you can. Saying you have a "Kohler Genset" just in NOT enough for us to give any reasonable advice. What we NEED is complete MODEL and Serial Numbers, and the best description that you can give of the problem at hand. Pictures are also VERY helpful in determining Models and Options.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:01:20 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Frequently Asked Kohler Questions

The really critical number on any Kohler engine or generator is the spec number. All parts, production and electrical data is tied to spec number.

Also, when checking numbers on a generator powered with a Kohler engine, be sure you're getting the generator data,not the engine. Both data tags will be present, but they very clearly marked as "Kohler Engines" or "Kohler Generators."

Dan
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

Here's a scan of a 3phase Kohler of about early-mid 1960's vintage. This kind had a DC generator/exciter/starting motor on the back end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 phase Kohler schematic 2.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	110218   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 phase Kohler schematic 1.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	110219  
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40:17 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Frequently Asked Kohler Questions - Kohler Generator Manuals

I thought this might be helpful in the FAQs, since it's a question that comes up quite often in this section of the Stax:

From their inception in the late 1920s until the early 1970s, Kohler Generator Division did not always print manuals that were unique to the individual models for the most part. The very early Model A and D "Kohler Power & Light Plant" models did have their own printed owner's manual that contained literally everything you needed to know, including parts data. Also understand that Kohler built the complete unit in these cases as well - engine and generator.

Beginning in the 1940s, possibly due to the war, Kohler began building generators in larger sizes. This precluded their ability to produce engines for the larger sets, as they had neither the engineering expertise nor the production facilities required to undertake such a project. As a result, they began to purchase their prime movers from a number of different companies, such as Waukesha and Continental, among others.

As the product line grew, so did the outside engine suppliers. However, as the engines changed, the generator and control portions of the units remained for the most part unaltered. A 10kW rotating armature generator was functionally the same as a 50kW generator.

With this in mind, Kohler began printing and providing individual manuals that covered the functional aspect of their units, that is, a manual that covered generator operation and troubleshooting, one for controller operation and troubleshooting, dry fuel systems, basic electrical troubleshooting, etc. These were bound into a booklet along with any engine parts manuals that were supplied by the engine manufacturer and a copy of the generator's wiring diagram/schematic.

When you post that you need a "manual" for your old Kohler whatever, you'll get nothing unless it's a later model. At this point in time, everything is out of print and Kohler is not keen about providing copies - even for a fee. They still have microfiche copies of everything, including the build ticket from the production line when your generator was manufactured - but these are not available to the general public any more.

So, if you need an engine manual, your best bet is to track down the engine manufacturer. If the engine is a Kohler, you can contact a Kohler engine distributor for more information. There will also be a separate nameplate for the engine with model spec and serial number of the engine. If it is a Kohler engine and it's water cooled, you have one of the L600 or L654 four cylinder engines - these were manufactured by the Engine Division, but sold directly to the Generator Division. As a result of this arrangement, you can only source parts for these engines from a Generator distributor using the generator model, spec and serial number. If you have questions or need to troubleshoot your controller or generator, you'll have to make due with the wiring diagram/schematic.

If you get a diagram for your generator, it will be laid out in the following fashion:

On the left side will be a "ladder" diagram, or schematic. This is used for troubleshooting and sequence of operation. At the top will be the battery and the generator. Below that will be the controller. B+ or positive is on the left, ground is on the right. You simply start at the upper left corner and trace the circuit down and to the right to see how the various parts operate.

On the right side is the wring diagram. This shows the physical location of the components in the generator and controls along with things like terminal numbers and wire colors. This is the side that you use to locate components in the controller or generator end.

To identify the proper wiring diagram, you MUST have the generator's "spec" or specification number. This, NOT the serial number, is what links the generator to a specific build ticket and design. With the spec number and a Kohler publication ES-913, "Specification to Wiring Diagram Cross Reference", you can find your wiring diagram.

Another way to identify the proper wiring diagram of the spec number can't be found is to locate the controller number. If you look closely on the outside of the generator controller, there may be a silver and black metal tag that says "Kohler Controller Number" which will have a number that begins with a letter that is followed by six digits, for example: "A-239467". The wiring diagram number for this controller will be one digit higher or lower.

Once you have this information, post on the Kohler Generator conference at the Stax and we'll be glad to help.

Dan
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31:00 PM
Registered-III

Once you have a wiring diagram number, you can call one of the legacy generator distributors (Kohler distributors who have been around many, many years) and get an electronic version of the drawing from them.

If you're polite and ask nicely, they won't typically charge for this.

One point to note - DO NOT CALL THE PARTS DEPARTMENT!

Their Service Department is the one with the drawings, as they are a part of the master service catalog. The Parts Department either won't know how to help you or they'll get all confused and try to sell you a drawing or full set of manuals.

Two of the distributors I would recommend:

Buckeye Power Sales, Columbus, OH (and any of their branch operations, but Columbus is best as it's their HQ)

TAW Power Systems, Tampa (Riverview) FL

There are some others, too, such as Loftin Equipment in Phoenix and Bay City Electric in San Diego.

Be sure to have your drawing and spec number ready and just tell them you're a private individual who would like some information on your generator. They should only need the drawing number, but having a spec number handy will et them know you're prepared with the necessary information should they need it.

Dan
Old 09-27-2014, 08:39:33 PM
Registered

what the heck does the symbol that looks like a square wave stand for? I have an excellent schematic,since it's a 3Kvs 115v system it's loads simpler than the one shown here, but I broke a circuit breaker and cannot find a replacement. It looks as if it was two thermal interrupters in one case. I'm hoping I can replace it with two separate breakers? I found another post of yours that explains the flow through a system that is brilliant but I was still unable to decipher that one component. Thanks so much for your help!

actually I've spent hours searching the www for a list that identifies these strange little markings. I took basic electronics in h.s. so I know a resistor from a capacitor but -unununun-this one mystifies me. and odd little triangles? I recall a little red book or something of that nature-it's been 50 years-Engineers Bible maybe? anyway it was full of useful info, conversion tables, map symbols and it seemed to me a table of electronic symbols including tubes-or "gate valves" as they were called. Guess it's time to head for Blacktail Books!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:50:17 AM
Registered-III

Bob,

Just noticed your post - hopefully you're still checking in here....

The little square wave symbol on the older Kohler diagrams refers to the heater coil for the 1TS and 2TS thermal switches.

These are time delay circuit breakers in the case of the 1TS, and Klixon brand thermal protection devices for the higher current 2TS cranking circuits.

In the case of the 1TS, this typically had the coil running through the safety circuits such as low oil pressure, lack of output voltage and start disconnect. If one or more of these conditions existed, the circuit to the coil (square wave symbol) would be grounded, the coil would heat up, and a thermal element would open after a predetermined time to shut the unit down to prevent damage.

With the 2TS device, it would usually be in series with the exciter cranking circuit and would trip during excessive current draw or extended cranking to repent damage to the exciter windings.

Hope this clears up your understanding of the symbol. Do realize that Kohler sometimes too liberties with schematic symbols, so you may find others that don't exactly line up with what was typically used at the time the equipment was manufactured.

Dan
Old 12-20-2015, 10:49:39 AM
Registered

Hi Jim,
Thanks for this info - It probably will get me starting in figuring out the generator head and controller. I am wondering if these diagrams would suit my Kohler generator (Lister Petter diesel):
Kohler: 7.5RM081 - 63391A3.28
Lister Petter: 2410SR2 A23 (thus a 1973 engine and presumably a similar year generator?)
Thanks again!
Anders