Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Machinery Trailer Displays

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1976 times

Old 10-21-2017, 10:20:25 AM
Subscriber

Default Machinery Trailer Displays

Displaying horse drawn machinery at shows can sometimes be a pain as it can , sometimes, be difficult to load and unload pieces from trailers. Seems that having dedicated trailers for equipment is a growing trend. First photo shows, what was once, a ratty old trailer that was given to Warren Paulson of the Paulson Ag Museum. He re-habbed it to haul an Emerson Talcott reaper and an EB mower and walking plow. He found it quite handy to take to local shows and advertise his museum at the same time. Next is a friend who fashioned an old trailer to haul his collection of Janesville Machine implements. Last is a very ambitous collecto'r who fashioned three old mobile home trailer chassis's to display his neat collection. Machinery is bolted or clamped to the decks so the stuff is not intended to be off loaded when back at home. Problem now is having storage to house the trailers. Guess nothing's easy. Wish I had taken photos of the trailers themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0894.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	294073   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0430.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	294074   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4646.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	294075  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kent McMakin For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 01:32:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,971 Times in 3,791 Posts
Photo Re: Machinery Trailer Displays

Not the same kind of "Machinery" as the opening post, but Dad did that in the Fall of 1969 - Spring of 1970 making a trailer load of engines using a stripped down mobile home frame mounting a couple of his bigger engines in the middle with a pair of smaller engines on each side in front (one with a little burr mill belted up to it), three uprights across the back end, 3 Maytag's on one fender and 3 Briggs & Stratton's on the other fender, and a Delco Light Plant with a bank of batteries front & center to run lights at night.

Pulled it through lots of Parades using Grandpa's truck advertising for our new (at the time) Threshing Show and then at the show all he had to do was pull into his space and park it then go back home and haul in more engines on skids & carts to go around it.

When everything was done all he had to do was through a tarp over it and back it into Grandpa's corn crib until the next time he took it somewhere.

With Dad running the Sawmill along with all his other "Duties" at our own show he had someone else run them for him there but they were all his to play with whenever he took them anywhere else.

Over the next few years he built up 2 more smaller trailer loads and still had enough other engines to fill up all the stanchions and half the center aisle of Grandpa's barn.

Sadly after Grandpa died Grandma decided to sell the farm and with no storage Dad ended up selling all his tractors & engines, but then got into restoring antique cars for a few years.

I got a couple of his engines and his 1/2 scale OTTO tractor bought back 15-20 years later but they cost me a whole lot more than what he sold them for.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S6307793.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	294151   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6307825 Rod Mortimer.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	294152   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6307827.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	294153   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13104.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	294154  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Machinery Trailer Displays

Kent: I was really impressed when I saw what Warren had done with that trailer. We are kind of toying with the idea of building another one one day. Maybe even just for some hog oilers and implement seats.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07:43 PM
Registered-III

I have been telling my hubby for years.. this is the way to display!
Thanks for the ideas guys.
Candy
Old 05-01-2018, 08:35:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,043 Times in 478 Posts

Otto is that you or pops in the pictures
Your old man must have been a lot of fun to be hanging around with ... Lots of cool toys on that trailer ...
Old 05-03-2018, 12:59:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,971 Times in 3,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Otto is that you or pops in the pictures
Your old man must have been a lot of fun to be hanging around with ... Lots of cool toys on that trailer ...
Neither. . . As Per my post, "With Dad running the Sawmill along with all his other "Duties" at our own show he had someone else run them for him". . . That is (I believe) Rod (Rodney) Mortimer (?) and his wife in the pictures.

I would have been 10 or 11 years old when those pictures were taken and I believe at that time learning from Louis Althoff how to fire and operate a Case Steam Engine.

A year or two later I got put to work as the Off-Bearer on the Sawmill, Effectively Ending my 'education' on anything there beyond pulling boards for the next 25 years (with Dad as the Sawyer and then for the guy that replaced him when he moved away) before having to figure out (By Osmosis) how to set up and run the mill in 2000 (when the last guy died) and That has been my 'home-away-from-home' for going on 18 years now meaning I still don't get to experience anything else at our show.

Dad never 'taught' me anything. He just somehow expected me to somehow magically 'know it'. A few years ago (when he was still talking to me before Mom Died) he stopped by and looked at the mill and said "You've got the Guide Blocks set pretty wide don't you ?" and that "The (board-side) pin should be lightly rubbing the blade to keep it from moving away from the log". I had always left a small gap between the pins & the blade thinking the rubbing would add heat and thereby add to the wobbling problem, but he said it doesn't. That was the first and only thing he ever 'taught' me since telling me in 1974 or 75 what point to look at on the carriage when 'sighting in' the blade to check the "Lead" from the off-bearer's side when I was 12 or 13 years old so he wouldn't have to actually measure it. Everything else was 'learned' by watching from a distance with no words exchanged and then figuring out the details on my own when it came time for me to do it.

Yeah, LOTS of Cool Engines, 50-60 in total over the years, and 7 tractors and the Flour Mill and Grandpa's Sandwich Hay Press and Lots of Other Cool Stuff, but No Knowledge Shared on Any Of It. . . "Kids were meant to be Seen and Not Heard", and if they weren't seen, then So Much The Better apparently. What I Know, I just Know Somehow, from a mediocre shop class in High School to reading 25 different car & truck magazines a month and adapting that information to task at hand or with my OCD just looking at something 'mechanical' and picturing how it all goes together the same way someone else might do with a jigsaw puzzle which allows me to put things back together that someone else tore apart and forgot where the pieces came from or they put them together wrong and I had to take it back apart and put it together the right way.

To His Credit, Dad DID Get Me Interested in Antiques, but probably just because I grew up around them and thought they were Cool myself.