Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Massey grain binders

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 820 times

Old 01-08-2019, 09:29:40 AM
Registered

Default Massey grain binders

I just acquired a couple Massey Harris grain binders. Iím not sure the year of either binder. The one Iím mostly wondering about has wood inside the chain driven wheel and the other wheel is a steel outside with wood spikes and rim. I want to know how old it would be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outdoors For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,270 Times in 2,196 Posts
Default Re: Massey grain binders

Any pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard of The World Massey Harris Toronto Canada.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	325960  
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:58:12 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

The Massey used more wood in their binders than most others. I had a nice one that came from a local farm sale, the owners were there and told us it was bought new in the Depression era. Mine had a wooden beam for the main structure, but the drive wheel was all steel. I imagine they were trying to avoid patent issues with IHC. I would think the wood in the drive wheel would put one closer to the turn of the century. Much older and you get back to a reaper style, not sure if Massey had any wire tie units like McCormick and Deering did before the Advent of the twine tie units.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 01:25:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,765 Times in 912 Posts

Some Massey grain binders were used in this area as I have a few canvases collected, but there are no machines left that I can find.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32:37 PM
One Millionth Post

I guess the reason there are so many IHC units still left is that they built probably 100 times more than all the other builders put together! The one I had was the only Massey I ever saw around here, and Massey had a huge dealer presence here. I believe the one here ended up in the woods for the last 40 some years after it left. Really a shame as it was really nice before that with a lot of original paint and stenciling. They were cheap back then and no one felt it was worth the shed space.

Last edited by FWurth; 01-08-2019 at 09:12:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:58:44 PM
Subscriber

Oh Yes, There were quite a few Massey around here . My Grandfather bought one new in 1905, It had the wood lined bullwheel, exposed drive gears. Reel that was unsupported on the left end, and a 6 foot cut. I remember Dad replacing the wooden main frame plank when I was young (1950's), with a NEW part. Now he may have stored that part for a bit before using it. Grandpa paid $75.00 for it in 1905 and they used it until 1980. A Dollar a year. He would cut about 30 acres of oats each year for the cattle with it. About 1980 he bought a later model at a sale for $5.00 it was likely mid 20's. It had metal main support, metal bullwheel and enclosed bevel drive. Still ground drive though. It had an 8 foot cut and an outboard reel support. It finished up the last few years that dad farmed. They used to pull the old one with 4 horses, then 3 horses if the day wasn't as long. When the 3rd horse died it went to tractor with 2 operators. There was a M-H company store in North Battleford in the early days which may explain their better numbers around here, although IH (McCormick) was likely the most popular.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldtech For This Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:31:26 PM
One Millionth Post

I never used the Massey here, it needed new canvas. But other than that it was nice. I got it in the mid 70 at a local farm auction, it had been in the barn for years and well stored. It had the wood main plank, I think 6 ft cut. The old fellow that sold it had used it well into the late 50s and it was converted to tractor use. They had rigged up a drip oiler on the knotter drive as he said it got hot in use as the tractor went too fast. I was just starting to get serious about getting a complete threshing set up then and shortly after the Massey came I got a better 8 ft IHC that had only been used one year, so I let the Massey go. Now I wish I had kept it, considering what became of it. If I could recover it I could still rebuild it but not likely to get it from the present situation. I'll have to go look it over and see what type of drive wheel it has as now I can't recall if it was all steel or not, I haven't thought of it for quite a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 04:34:17 PM
Registered

Hi there, I can’t on here but if you give me an email address or something I certainly could. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:57:30 PM
One Millionth Post

Not sure what your last post was about. But if you click on the user's name in the upper left of their post you will bring up a menu that includes the way to send them a personal message.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29:41 PM
Subscriber

I believe he means Pictures
Old 01-26-2019, 03:05:29 PM
Registered

[IMG]binders84[/IMG]
I don't know if this will work but its worth a shot.