Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Horse-Drawn Gundlach Grain Drill

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 6632 times

Old 09-03-2010, 11:07:55 PM
Registered-III

Default Horse-Drawn Gundlach Grain Drill

Gundlach grain drill manufactured by P.M. Gund_lach & Sons, Belleville, Ill. Just picked it up today. It was hanging in the rafters of a barn.

Its is a walk-behind drill; wooden axle. Needs a tounge, is 16' about right for it? Otherwise, its complete. Grass box on the back.

I found some history here: http://www.farmcollector.com/implements/horse-drawn-gundlach-grain-drill.aspx
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SJerden For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17:47 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Horse-Drawn Gundlach Grain Drill

Here it is before we got it down with the backhoe. It sat up there for quite some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gundlachDrill.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	86535  
The Following User Says Thank You to SJerden For This Post:
Old 09-07-2010, 12:17:21 AM
Registered-III

Nice looking drill. I make my tongues 10 feet from the single trees to the neckyoke. That's long enough for big horses and you can still hook a smaller horse in there.
John
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43:34 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,916 Times in 3,056 Posts

Gundlach closed it's agricultural pursuits and went into building industrial crushers for various rock and ore. They are still operating today in Belleville.

http://www.gundlachcrushers.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11:46 AM
Registered

The way Iíve been informed; TJ Gundlach Coal Crushers has always been a separate company which was ran by a different branch of the Gundlach family. PM Gundlach started the Gundlach Drill.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMGundlach For This Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38:15 PM
One Millionth Post

G M, did we by chance get to visit at the Verlan Heberer auction a few years back? I talked with a younger relative of the Gundlach family at the sale. That previous old post was placed by my son and he was under the impression that it was the extension of the older company. I have saved several of these units over the years to save them from extinction. One here is a home adapted 20 row, they grafted a pair of 10 shoe drills on one single heavy axle. It served well for many decades. What I do need is to find some better wheels for some of these here, as the wheel seem to be the weakest part of the drill. I can still remember going with my father to the old plant to get repair parts for the old drills, before it closed down. Any farmer who was anyone had one of these drills well into the modern times. We used ours well into the 70s, and it did good work. I had to get a newer rubber tired drill when we got acreage further down the highway, as the old steel rimed wheels didn't like the pavement.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:08:40 PM
Registered

Yes sir I believe we did. The auction was at Eckerts off HWY 15. The drill I purchased at that auction is the best in our collection. My father tells me stories of how his father would send him to the shed for parts after the factory was closed. He said people would come by a couple times a week for shoes and parts. Itís incredible to me how long these drills were used and by so many in the St. Louis area. Sadly so much history of the company is lost. I search various sites for any remaining literature that may surface. Iím appreciative of the drills youíve saved from those that dismantled and discarded them to simply use the wheels as lawn ornaments.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMGundlach For This Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45:57 PM
One Millionth Post

Those drills were very reliable and if calibrated correctly, they were very accurate. Any one who has ever used one will tell you that they make a very unique sound when working. Those long spouts that convey the seed from the box to the shoe, the seed flowing down them creates a light hiss that's amplified by the spout itself. The acreage meter on them is unusual in that it uses 2 slightly different gear segments that run on the same worm gear to measure the area planted. modern units use a typical bale counter type of digital read out. I think that the worm gear has a different pitch for the wider drills as all drills use the same meter other wise. I have found the metal remains of the ones grand father had, I plan on recreating them with new wood, the wheel felly (wood rim) will be the difficult part. I need to find a pressure steaming box to make the wood pliable to form it out. The wood spokes won't be a problem as I have a wood lathe for that. I did have some seed box end castings that were from a real early drill. It had a earlier patent date and different type wheel hubs. I recall them from years back, but over the years things get moved around a bit and I haven't seen them for a long time.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:53:44 PM
Registered

Thatís incredible information to say the least. I feel like we have a box of parts somewhere from the few that were not salvageable, Wood being too far gone. I would certainly love to see your collection sometime. Iíve never had the pleasure of seeing a drill in action and likely never will. I have heard a few people say that the sound they make is like no other. I apologize for my lack of quick replies, Iím horrible about checking emails and this forum.