Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Kilowatt meter / Receptacle box JohnnyC style

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 3024 times

Old 03-14-2016, 10:12:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,673 Posts
Default Kilowatt meter / Receptacle box JohnnyC style

Kilowatt meter / Receptacle box JohnnyC style ---

Last night I received a private message on the Stak. The sender was wondering if I was going to build a digital meter / receptacle box for my Onan 6.5NH/T260G as I did for my 5.0CCK and if so if I can post pictures and explain how to build the box. I replied and agreed to do it. Coincidently, I just started my meter / receptacle box moments before reading the message. So, here is a thread on how I build Kilowatt a meter / Receptacle box JohnnyC style.

Before I post pictures of the box currently being built, I want to post pictures of a finished box that I use on my 5.0CCK so you all can see what the final product looks like and what is does. The box you see in the attached pictures is fed 240 vac from the genset through a long generator power cord. I can mount the box remotely from the genset. For example, the genset can be outside in freezing temps, rain, snow, or whatever, and the meter / receptacle box can be indoors where I can monitor the status of the genset in warmth of my room. The box has a 20 amp double pole breaker with one 240 vac and two 120 vac receptacles. The meters are a Hertz meter and two voltage/amperage/power meters on each leg.

Below are 4 pictures showing the box that I use for my 5.0CCK. For the 6.5NH/T260G meter box, the ONLY difference is the breaker. The 5.0CCK has a 20 double pole main breaker and the 6.5NH/T260G will have a 30 double pole main breaker.

More pictures to come....

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	248960   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	248961   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	248962   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	248963  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2016, 11:41:58 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Kilowatt meter / Receptacle box JohnnyC style

JohnnieC- just curious,did those meters jump around with the NH like they did with the CCK?

I have similar ones, you can see in my post a few days ago and they did not jump around when they were mounted by the gen. now they are in a new location by the panel so it does not matter.

Reason i ask is i like those better, (more functions) and need to buy more, (yes i know they are china junk but mine have been just fine for 3 years)
Old 03-15-2016, 12:04:14 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap View Post
JohnnieC- just curious,did those meters jump around with the NH like they did with the CCK?

I have similar ones, you can see in my post a few days ago and they did not jump around when they were mounted by the gen. now they are in a new location by the panel so it does not matter.

Reason i ask is i like those better, (more functions) and need to buy more, (yes i know they are china junk but mine have been just fine for 3 years)
You asked a VERY good question. When I was testing my 6.5NH using the 5.0CCK meter box, I always had the meter box positioned at least 6 feet or more away from the genset for comfort sake of viewing (one of the advantages of this meter box). However, I do recall having the meter box fairly close to the 6.5NH one time during my initial testing before taking the genset apart and don't recall any problem. Maybe I was not close enough. If I do run into problems with tomorrow's test, I will replace my new spark plug wires with the old stock Onan spark plug wires because I think that may be the root cause of my problem. The custom wires on my 5.0CCK and 6.5NH are made from non-resistor copper core high performance wires.

The meters I have in my CCK box and soon to be NH box have more functions than the meters on my JC.

Results will come tomorrow.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 03-15-2016, 01:01:18 AM
Registered-II

Very nice, as always! I'm assembling a similar item, hadn't settled yet on meters. Looking at the exact same meter pkg you have.

Instead of a 14-50 outlet I used a L14-30, 14-50 is a good idea. I have L6-30, L14-20, TT-30 outlets to install also. I'm using a L14-30 inlet so I don't need a fixed cord. Mines useable as is, but needs metering.

I run 8mm Taylor Spiro-pro wires, spiral wound with ultra low resistance and Bosch platinum resistor plugs on my 6.5 NH. Runs awesome, very quiet electrically on my oscope.
The Following User Says Thank You to PnishrPW For This Post:
Old 03-15-2016, 09:52:46 AM
Subscriber

JohnnyC- sorry about the name spelling, i just can not get it right.

I am real curious as to the cause of the meter problem, if it was in the gen itself, or interference from the wires. will watch for the results.

Also on the location when finding a gen, remember i an only 40 miles north of atlantic city, 10 south of seaside heights. That gives me a 2 hour jump on ya.

Only kidding if you see something by me and you want a preview b4 making the trip, let me know if i can help i will, Ed.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40:11 AM
Registered-II

I am real curious as to the cause of the meter problem, if it was in the gen itself, or interference from the wires. will watch for the results.

X2
Old 03-15-2016, 01:43:41 PM
Subscriber

OK, here are the results using the digital meter box that has the cheap-azz Chinese meters that had stability issues when placed within several feet of my running 5.0CCK. The testing was performed using the copper core custom spark plug wires which I used on both the 6.5NH and 5.0CCK

Test #1) Meter box placed within an inch of the control box and generator head of the 6.5NH. Had the ignition toggle switch set to use the T260G electronic ignition. The T260G electronic ignition uses an ignition module mounted to the lower section of the timing cover and a ring that slips over the snout of the crankshaft above the ignition module. I experienced ZERO stability problems. I moved the digital meter box near the coil and other critical areas of the 6.5NH. No problems.

At this point, I assumed the problem could be due to the mechanical points so I did the following:

Test #2) This test was performed the exact same way as Test #1, but in this test I set the ignition toggle switch to use the 6.5NH stock points ignition system. To my surprise I had ZERO stability problems. All checked out clean and working exceptionally well.

So, the question is - Why do I have digital meter stability problems when using the same meter box placed near/next to the 5.0CCK's control box / generator head?????

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-15-2016, 01:47:11 PM
Registered-II

Try slipping a ferrite bead on both plug wires, see if it helps.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:04:45 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnishrPW View Post
Try slipping a ferrite bead on both plug wires, see if it helps.
I wish I could, but don't have ferrite beads. I would really like to know why the 5.0CCK is making the meters go crazy? The genset have about 30 hours of real clock time. The 5.0CCK is like new, the brush blocks are totally spotless and free of all brush dust. One thing I did NOT do with the 5.0CCK was clean up the slip rings and commutator although it produces its rated output. It looked good, but not shinny like a new penny. Could a bad points and/or coil capacitor cause this problem?

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-15-2016, 02:18:48 PM
Registered-II

You could try trading plugs, wires and condenser between the two.