Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 72d

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 921 times

Old 01-20-2017, 10:30:32 AM
Registered

Default Maytag 72d

I have a new restored Maytag 72 that will usually start on the second or third kick & it run's perfect! you let it warm up & run for a bit & then shut it down & it is almost impossible to get it started again till it cools off! any body had this problem or got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2017, 11:29:01 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Maytag 72d

Possibly a bad coil. The 72s are noted for bad coils. Good luck
Old 01-20-2017, 12:44:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,474 Posts

How full is the fuel tank, on re-start? The twins start best on a full tank. If fuel level is low, between heat of the engine and fuel draw suction, it may make it hard to start the engine. ALSO - you probably do not need to close the air valve off (choke) to start a hot engine. You may be flooding it, when it is hot. Next time you go to do a hot re-start, try just putting it to the run position and kick it over a few times - see what happens. The 72-d and DAs were known for bad coils, but try these options first. Usually, when a coil goes bad, it messes up when running as well as starting. If it runs well, then there may be other things going on.
Andrew
Old 01-20-2017, 04:35:09 PM
Registered-II

if a 72 twin is right good coil and good compression tight crank bushings it should start by fliping the flywheel with your hand hot or cold as stated in previously try not choking it when hot it should start in two or 3 kicks remember always shut off a twin by turning the air cap counter clock wise or opening it till it gets to much air and quits never try to start a twin by unhooking one plug wire this will blow a coil quick
Old 01-21-2017, 11:58:44 AM
Registered

thanks for the info! I will try it with more fuel in the tank! I didn't put much in it because I don't plan on running it much this winter. I really can't think it is a coil problem because it starts too easy cold & it runs perfect! just does not want to start when it is hot, compression seems to be real good & bearings are good & tight!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:10:26 PM
Registered

just setting hear thinking about it! can some on tell me what the compression should be? I have not actually ran a compression test on it but it seems to real good!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:53:56 PM
Registered-II

if by hand flipping the flywheel against compression stroke the flywheel bounces back its got enough compression i have never seen a reading posted or in the maytag book the points should be gapped at .020 make sure the air intake tube is not loose in the block its only held in with a set screw i put a small amount of black silicone around the tube when i install it are you opening the air cap to stop your engine or are you closing it to the choke or start position you should open it to stop the engine if you are closing it you are flooding the engine to stop it and that would make it real hard to start hot
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote62ny For This Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 03:57:15 PM
Sponsor

I did a compression test on a 72-DA, and got 35 PSI by kicking it over several times, on both sides. Both plugs out, and air cap open 3 full turns. As the intake thru the governor in the crankshaft is only about 3/8' of an inch in diameter, it is hard to get good volumetric efficiency thru the crank. I think the compression ratio is about 5 to 1, pistons are 11/2" diameter, and about 11/4' of stroke. Engine only puts out about 5/8 HP at 1200 RPM. Not much torque with those small pistons! The engine did what it needed to do, with good fuel economy and great service.

Coyote62ny is right about the compression - it does not really matter on the 72, or any small engine, for that matter, as long as it bounces back against compression, it should run. You do need to make sure that the exhaust ports AND the exhaust manifold are not coked up with carbon, and that your muffler (if you use one) is not too restrictive. I have seen some sold on evilbay, that are using a 3/4" by 1/2" reducer and a small B&S 2" diameter round muffler - the one with a bunch of holes in the face. These are too restrictive, and will not allow the engine to breath properly. This causes coking (carbonization in the port) of the port and manifold, as well as a blocked muffler, after a time. If you must use a muffler, use the Maytag Ball type, or one of the aluminum aftermarket types. Personally, I use one of the 3/4" tubular B&S mufflers, and it works fine. It gives the twin a nice mellow tone.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05:01 AM
Registered

I have been reading some of the other posts on tag 72's & they are talking about using a 1/2" brigs muffler! on the one I am having the problem restarting when hot I am using a brigs 1/2" muffler that is about 2 1/2" diameter & 2" long, but it has several holes to relieve the exhaust! I wonder if this could part of my problem? I know the exhaust ports & manifold are open & clean, but I never thought about a restriction in the muffler!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:12:17 PM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Maytag 72d

Try running the engine without the muffler. It won't hurt. The exhaust note should be sharp and crisp - a semi loud popping sound. If the sound is muffled or weak, you may have coked (carbonned) exhaust manifold or ports. If that cures your restart problem, then you have found it - use a 3/4" muffler or the aluminum aftermarket sold for the Maytag generators. I think Zack Northway has them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: