Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92 - Oil from the exhaust.

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 816 times

Old 02-16-2017, 06:22:51 PM
Registered

Default Maytag 92 - Oil from the exhaust.

Howdy. I had been posting here on a Maytag job idea, and a few suggested using the exhaust creatively. Neat Idea. But I have oil coming out my exhaust, and assume venting that somehow would also defeat the using the exhaust trick. Ideas? Thanks.

One friend, who has been seriously into hit and miss engines for years, suggested cutting back from my 16:1 mix. Other friend, who has been a mechanic and helped me with the correct gapping and cleaning steps, recommends pouring some Marvel Mystery Oil in the plug hole, let it sit, dump it and let running it burn out the remainder.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2017, 08:48:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts
Default Re: Maytag 92 - Oil from the exhaust.

That's just the nature of the beast. Mine does the same. It's just a by product of that engines combustion. It sure keeps my flex exhaust from freezing or rusting up. The upright pipe I have on my display, the tee with the pipe up and the side accepting the exhaust, I put a paper towel in the bottom of the tee going toward the ground. Some of the oil push out winds up there, the rest, lubes the flex hose going to it. All still works good.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:58:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,544 Posts

You can always tell where the Maytags were when everyone has gone home after a show. Just look for the black spots! Like Pat said, nature of the beast. I would not cut back on the 16:1 ratio either. The plain bearings need all the lube they can get. I've heard the squeal of a dry Maytag and it's not pretty.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
Old 02-17-2017, 01:13:31 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,474 Posts

DO NOT cut the 16:1 ratio of gas to oil! As others have stated, nature of the beast! During the miss cycle, the fuel air charge is not burned, thus supplying oil to the piston and rings. This excess is then blown out the exhaust. if you heavily load the 92, it will fire constantly and will burn off this excess. once my 92s are warmed up, I usually load to the constant hit point, and lean the engine out until it just begins to slow. Load is held for a few minutes. This usually cleans out any loose carbon in the combustion chamber (lots of orange sparks!), and cleans deposits off the spark plug. When the engine is loaded, there usually is no smoke, even using SAE 30 NON Detergent oil. As others have noted - these engines with plain bronze bearings need all the lube they can get. SAE 30 NON detergent or TCW-3 OIL. No synthetics or pre-mix lubricants. OIL only! A 'dry' Maytag is NOT a happy Maytag!

As for the exhaust - it should be relatively un restricted. many 92s perform well straight pipe, or with no pipe at all. If they are loaded to the point where they do not miss, then a muffler probably is a good idea to prevent piston erosion. If you must use a muffler, the original ball type or the aftermarket aluminum one used on the generators will do well. If you are not a purist, the 3/4 tubular B&S muffler works well too. DO NOT reduce the exhaust diameter, with the 1/2" B&S 2" diameter muffler. These will cause carbon build up in the manifold and exhaust port, and can cause issues with running - too restrictive an exhaust. If you plan to run the exhaust thru something that will allow smoke to enhance a display, a 1/16" hole drilled at a low point will allow oil to escape without letting too much smoke out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: