Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92 chore

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1517 times

Old 01-26-2017, 04:50:11 PM
Registered

Default Maytag 92 chore

After seeing 92's at our last year's local tractor show (where I showed my 79 Yanmar 1700D), I bought a dead one, and have it running okay now. April will come soon, and I'd like to bring my Maytag, but would like it to do something. Just read in a different post about it running some old car alternator, but the person didn't go on to what for. Ideas for running something for the show? Plenty of neat hit and miss engines there running water pumps, cotton gins and just about everything, so would like to do something unique. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2017, 05:51:30 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Maytag 92 chore

the 92 maytag dont have enough power to run a alt. i used to run a piston pump with one and i had a twin that i used to run a danamo looks like a horse shoe mag but puts out voltage mine was like 75 volts so it would light a small night light bulb but that was about it the 92 maytag is around 3/4 hp the twin is 5/8 hp not much to ruun something the pump i had worked out the best
Old 01-26-2017, 06:45:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts

Not unique, but a 20+ or - inch box fan, is a bit hit on warm days. I've seen folks use an old car generator and a voltage regulator with a battery to run lights before. 12volt light bulbs are available at the auto parts store, a bit pricey, and you can spray paint them diff. colors to make a display. One day, I wish to find a way to use the exhaust puffs to turn some type of like a turbo charger to spin something, like light wheels or something like you usta hold out the window of a car and they spun.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:09:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,667 Times in 509 Posts

I just took my 72 and an old 8 in. grinding wheel with a nice cast iron shroud down to the cellar to set up.

I figured someone will want to sharpen something while at a show.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:36:11 AM
Subscriber

A can crusher works good at shows. There are always cans around. If you set it up right you can let kid feed it from behind a rope or fence.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:45:56 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,474 Posts

The Maytag 72 type puts out 5/8 HP. I have used them on small piston type water pumps, small squirrel cage fans, little air compressors, and a GM alternator from a 1966 Chevrolet Corvair. The water pumps just circulated water. One air compressor pumped air for a local market, back in the 1950s, to aeriate a fish tank - they sold fresh caught live fish! The other was an old diaphragm sears paint compressor. it put out 50 PSI before blowing off the safety. I used them to run small steam engines and blow up bike tires. The alternator charged car batteries. It would start out 15 amps, Lugged down pretty hard, and then would cut back as the battery charged. The alternator was a 42 amp unit. It would charge a battery enough to start the car on one tank of gas. The one I had on the fan was a WICO version. I always had a crowd on a warm day!

A lot of small V belt driven equipment could be driven off the 72. Just make sure you use the 16:1 fuel ratio, with SAE 30 NON-Detergent or TCW-3 engine OIL. NO synthetics or pre-mix, and by all means, DO NOT cut the ratio! When the twins are loaded, cooling was minimal, and they needed the oil recommended. Modern lubes are too thin for the bearings (they depend on oil to create the seal, and have no positive seals),

Have fun with your 92! NOTE - if you load your 92, be sure to have a NON-restrictive muffler! The small 1/2" mufflers that I have seen sold on evilbay are too restrictive with a loaded engine, and can lead to engine damage from overheating. You MUST use a full 3/4" exhaust - either a long exhaust hose or a free flowing muffler like the tubular ones used on the older 5 HP B&S engines. There is an aluminum aftermarket muffler that was used on the Maytag generator engines, they are perfect tor the job too. Bob Titman used to have them, not sure if anyone else sells them.

Your 92 puts out 3/4 HP. It will do the same job as the 72, but is hit & miss in function. The more you load it, the smoother it will run. Same as the 72, you need to make sure you use the proper oil and fuel ratio, and that you do not use the restrictive 1/2 exhaust. Some guys hook a hose and a lawn ornament to the exhaust! the smoke comes out the nose of the ornament. I have seen a horses head, a cast iron dragon, and an antique lawn watering cast iron tractor, that were hooked up to the 92 exhaust. the tractor was the neatest - the smoke came out both the water spinner and the tractor exhaust pipe!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:34:24 AM
Registered

Hi Jintan, I have one of my engines driving a small compressor similar to type found in fridges/ freezers, I have a small amount of rubber hose attached to a small metal milk pan and via a fitted petrol tank tap in bottom of pan the water in the pan looks as if it is boiling in the water are 6 rubber hens eggs.

This looks as if I am boiling eggs, of course the water never gets hot, the pan also sits on an unlit paraffin cooking stove so as to make people think the stove is making the pan boil.

I have been amazed at how many people at shows put their finger in the water to see if it is hot, if it was they would get scalded.
The Following User Says Thank You to livram40 For This Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 08:40:36 PM
Registered

Wow livram40, that darn near a serious science/art thing there.

Thanks to all so far on the replies. Pat, likely just going with the fan idea, but want a nice sized industrial one (with a burnt motor) in a frame. It is almost always hot at the tractor show. Change pulley sizes and get a few spins out of it.

I read a lot of these threads before I started on my Maytag, so sure know 16:1, 30 non detergent etc., and have stuck with it. And no muffler Andrew. Thought that using the exhaust smoke to blow through things is a great idea. My exhaust drips oil so I'll have to think about that one.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts

I found a cast iron Horse Head, from an ornamental cast iron producer. Drilled holes in the ears and nostrils. Added some allen set screws to the neck and screwed it on a piece of pipe almost the right size. I threaded the bottom of the pipe, put a tee on it and welded a pipe nipple on a disk blade with the nipple capped off on the bottom. Ran the exhaust into the inlet of the tee and the Maytag blows smoke out of it's ears and nostrils when the engine fires. It's a crowd drawer. But it's not the elaborate set up you were asking for. Also, with the flexible exhaust hose and the horse head the engine sound is really muffled and doesn't bother everyone.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10:02 PM
Registered

I seriously like the idea of using the exhaust smoke, but I have a problem with oil coming out the exhaust. I'll start a new thread on this, so it shows on searches.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30:34 PM
Subscriber

I do something like Pat said above. I have 10' of 2 1/2 inch pvc pipe with an elbow and reducer on the bottom. I bunge this to a fence post or the leg of my ez-up shade tarp. I put the exhaust hose into the base and when it fires it blows perfect smoke rings that on a calm day climb at least 25 feet. It quiets the engine and draws great crowds. My initial idea was just to get the smoke above crowds. As for condensing oil, it just collects in the bottom pipe elbow and I wipe it up with a rag. Just another idea for ya.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,474 Posts

I put a post on your other thread, but in case you missed it - just drill a 1/16" hole in the lowest point in your exhaust. Waste oil will bleed out the small hole, and you won't lose too much smoke.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:29:18 PM
Registered

Anyone have exhaust pictures they can share here, so I can get a visual? Especially the oil bleeding part. I appreciate it. I'll post this in the other thread as well.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:20:14 AM
Registered

I have wanted to do this! how did you make the can crusher? got any pictures? would really be interesting to do!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:18:56 PM
Subscriber

No I don't have any pic's. I saw it at a show. The man used a pump jack for the crusher & that was belted up to a Maytag
Old 03-13-2017, 04:00:56 PM
Registered

thanks anyway! I always wanted to make one that would some how work off of a motor, maybe even a auto feed or something! I always come up with some crazy ideas
Old 03-13-2017, 08:29:49 PM
Registered-I

The best thing to use it for is a Maytag wash machine. Nothing draws more attention then a gas engine wash machine washing some wash. These old wash machines are not to hard to find. You will heed to find one that matches the fuel tank on your engine. Craig's list is a good place to look.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:38:07 AM
Subscriber

Pinball: If you are interested in a can crusher, I have one I would part with. It is made with a hydraulic cylinder, and has an automatic feed (6 or 8 cans). PM me and we can talk about it.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:53:35 PM
Registered

really more interested in a mechanical one! something that would look like it belonged on a Maytag or something like that. got a picture in my mind, may try to build one! got to think about it a bit longer before I try it though!