Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Squeal has me scratching my head

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 888 times

Old 04-15-2017, 09:41:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Maytag Squeal has me scratching my head

I have a nice Maytag 72....I've had and repaired and shown a number of Maytags over the years. I got this one from a friend that is very competent when it comes to Maytag engines and he did the assembly work on it.

I mix oil a little "fatter" than some do...I mix Maytag fuel with fresh gas and with 30 weight non detergent oil and mix it at 14 or 15 to one...not laboring the engines with any equipment operating.

Today I mixed up a batch of fresh fuel...shook it really well...I do add a suggested amount of StaBil fuel stabilizer to all my engines that might sit a while between running..never had any issues in any engine. I use Chevron gas.

Fired the engine right up and it puttered along just fine...the way I mix oil I tend to get some oil residue dribbling out of the exhaust and the engine smokes just a bit more than if I were using 16/1 but not at a show where folks complain.

It ran for about 1/2 an hour...got nice and warmed up..running smooth...came time to shut it down and I loosened the air cap as I always do so that I won't flood the engine for a later start...I've done this for years...As I began to loosen the air cap it started to squeal...I just went ahead and opened it up all the way to make the shut down as quick as possible....

Have not tried to start it again..had supper waiting..

The only thing different between my "normal" process and today is that I was using the higher octane (91) as I filled the gas can while I was filling my modified Olds Cutlass that requires 91 octane.

Could higher octane gas in the mix be the cause for any problems? Also any suggestions before I start it up again? It has the same mix from today and I can start it fairly rich and while cold run it a bit rich...

Any thoughts please?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2017, 02:54:29 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag Squeal has me scratching my head

Lubricate the starter ratchet. Work some thick oil into it really well being sure to get oil into where the ratchet balls are. As the Crank slowed down the momentum of the ratchet caused it to be turning faster then the crank itself. Lack of oil may have caused the squeal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hank Czerwick For This Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 05:24:15 AM
Registered

Hi, I've had this issue as well. A copy of the owners manual helped. Turned out to be too lean of mixture in my case. It also says that broken or stuck ( carboned up by too much oil in gas ) rings or dry crank bushing or dry ratchet pinion. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdpickett For This Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 11:05:59 AM
Subscriber

r.kern , i dont know if the high octane fuel is causing your engine squeal , but published maytag literature says to use regular grade fuel.also the starter ratchet balls should never be lubricated.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:12:30 AM
Registered

I agree with Hank. The fuel isn't the issue. I ran modified tractors for a few years​ and would use up the left over 114-116 octane aviation fuel in the push mower at the end of the season. The mower would give off a high performance smell. Higher octane allows for greater compression of the fuel mix without pre-detonation issues.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:47:09 PM
Registered-III

The only thing that comes to mind is the 30 W used. The EPA forced the reformulation of 30W a while back removing certain components that are lubricants because they are now considered pollutants. So I am not sure what the implications will be for the new formulation. Will it need more agitation to mix thoroughly with the gas? has it been changed enough to make a difference for lubrication in two cycle application that its not intended for? But too like was said by jdpickett a lean air cap can cause that issue. Check all the bolts for snugness. Loose gaskets can cause a lean running condition as well as a air cap too far open. Good luck with it. Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shulaw For This Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 03:00:45 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,474 Posts

When stopping the 72, you MUST rapidly open the air valve at least a full turn in order to stop the engine. The idea is to lean out the mixture as rapidly as possibly. If you run too lean you will damage pistons. High test runs cooler, and will not degrade as fast if left in the tank. Stabil is only good if added AFTER the engine is done being used
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:49:09 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
When stopping the 72, you MUST rapidly open the air valve at least a full turn in order to stop the engine. The idea is to lean out the mixture as rapidly as possibly. If you run too lean you will damage pistons. High test runs cooler, and will not degrade as fast if left in the tank. Stabil is only good if added AFTER the engine is done being used
Thanks...I've usually turned the air valve clockwise to "richen" things up for just a sec and then rapidly counter clockwise to lean it and kill it....done it for years that way and never a problem..this was a "first"

As to the Stabil situation....I ran an offshore fishing boat with gas engines in it for years...I used Stabil in it all the time..the 500 gallons of gas it sat with sat with Stabil in it...it ran on gas with Stabil in it and then sat after shutting down...I've never drained the gas with Stabil in it to run the engine and then refill with Stabil...I realize it has no impact on performance...just on the ability of the gas to stay fresh a bit longer (and I don't believe their claims of 24 months...may 6 months...I use it in my classic Olds Cutlass Supreme along with a lead "off road" supplement and 91 octane gas....I find it stays nice and fresh with that mix for about 6 months but I make a practice to try and run it out and start "over" at about 3 months.