Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92, setting the carb

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 621 times

Old 06-01-2017, 05:45:46 PM
Registered-III

Default Maytag 92, setting the carb

Do I want to have just a bit of smoke coming out the exhaust on a Maytag 92 engine? Gas is mixed 16:1 non-ethanol and 30w non-detergent engine oil. Has the 8ft flexible exhaust and muffler end that is cast iron with four holes around the periphery. I have the mixture control set at about 1 o'clock and it smokes just a little.

With a temp gun, what sort of temps should I see on the cylinder when running and fully warmed up?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 06:27:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,508 Times in 916 Posts
Default Re: Maytag 92, setting the carb

Normal settings will vary from 11:00 to 1:00. Sounds like you're doing fine. It's a 2 stroke and on the miss cycles it has raw unburned fuel that has to be ignited and burned on the next hit stroke and that's where you'll get the majority of the smoke. It's the "Nature of the beast".
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33:22 PM
Registered-III

also when you get done running your maytags for the year, drain the gas out. If you dont then the gas evaporates and all that is left is oil. That is why some of the maytags smoke worse then others. basically you set the carb where the engine runs the best. sometimes when you get an engine the needle has ben turned out more then normal. with the lever all the way to the right, that should be shut off.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:59:35 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,474 Posts

Smoke from the 92 is not an issue. You start the engine and then turn the needle to the right until it just begins to break up when firing. Back out slightly, and you are set. I warm up my engines, then load until they hit nearly full time. Adjust for best running, and remove load. If set correctly, the needle should be just closed when turned to the right all the way. It will stop just above the tank top. To start, turn all the way to the left, and after starting, turn right until the needle is about straight up. As Pat stated - between 11 and 1 O'clock setting is ideal. As an added note, these engines were not made just to idle. They were made to work. Just idling, no load is usually why the 92s foul plugs - they aren't worked hard enough to self clean the plugs.

As for cylinder temp, you cannot really get a good answer because of the engine operation. The 92 uses ignition interrupt. As the engine speeds up, timing advances. Eventually, with no load, the engine speeds up to the point where the points do not open. This is the 'miss cycle'. As the engine slows, the points then open, igniting and then burning off the excess oil and fuel in the cylinder. This miss cycle gives the engine a chance to cool and lubricate properly. if you load a 92 heavily enough that it does not miss, you will get no smoke, even with the 16:1 ratio. It will also get really hot!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:22:10 AM
Registered-III

I ran the engine with the carb set to about the 1 o'clock position. The exhaust smoked a bit but not horribly, and it ran a butter churn attachment so wasn't heavily loaded. The engine did die once and wouldn't restart until I noticed that the muffler holes were completely plugged. It has the 8ft pipe with iron piece on the end with holes, not the muffler ball. It ran like a top after that. Random temp gun checks on the cylinder showed 235deg at the tips of the fins, 250deg or so at the root, just for reference.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:41:01 PM
Subscriber

Andrew good point about the loading and fowling. You want at least a little smoke coming from the muffler. No smoke would make me nervous with not enough oil getting to where its needed.

Kevin