Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 1947 72DA - are these parts correct?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 700 times

Old 08-11-2017, 11:30:57 PM
Registered

Default Maytag 1947 72DA - are these parts correct?

I recently purchased a Maytag 72DA long frame S/N 105763X at auction and have some questions that hopefully the more knowledgeable Maytag collectors could help me with. The S/N indicates that it was manufactured in 1947, but some of the engine parts (at least indicated by the limited research I have been able to do) do not appear to match that time period. The items in question are: the gas tank cover which does not have any ribs around the boss for the starter segment shaft, and the cylinders do not have the cut-outs on the fins closest to the mounting bolts. I would like to restore this engine to its correct period configuration. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 08:36:25 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag 1947 72DA - are these parts correct?

bill, i would guess that the engine itself is correct, but the original coil went bad and someone has installed the later D A flywheel and backing plate. the engine features you describe are typical 1937. as far as the longbase tank, it is a replacement tank that could be used on any engine to let it bolt up to any washer that had a longbase model 92 that was worn out.so to make engine correct change the flywheel and backing plate back to a D series and you will be good to go!!
clement
Old 08-12-2017, 01:35:06 PM
Registered

Thanks, Clement, for your reply. You may be correct on your assessment of this engine. I suppose if this is the case, I would need to find a 1937 era flywheel (period correct S/N) and backing plate to achieve my quest to make this engine period correct. I guess as time goes by and more of these engines are “saved” and restored, the more difficult it will be to find one with all its original parts.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18:57 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts

The basic engine is the same between all 3 versions. The mag backing plate mounting is the same (hub on the crankshaft cover). The crankshafts are the same. The differences are in the mag type (D,DA,WICO) Parts are NOT interchangeable between types. A D flywheel will not work on a DA, nor will a DA flywheel work on a D assembly. The clearances and ID of the flywheels are different. The WICO is all on its own.

As long as the engine runs well, I would not mess with it. I think you would be hard pressed to find a good D flywheel and magneto assembly, unless you find a donor engine with spark. The Ds were notorious for bad coils, and the DAs were not much better. There are replacement coils, cost about 150 + ship, nearly the cost of another engine! An old adage - "If it aint broke, don't fix it" applies here.