Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Engines... built of Gold?

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 4254 times

Old 02-09-2017, 11:22:57 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Maytag Engines... built of Gold?

It all goes back to supply and demand. Call it greed or what ever else you want. But as long as there is someone out there that is going to pay the price you can't blame someone for taking there money. Also there are more people out there trying to make a living buying and reselling these engines. But again it goes back to supply and demand.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2017, 02:14:41 AM
Registered-I

Prices have definitely gone crazy but there's still deals to be had. I was in nebraska at an auction that had about 30 maytags. There was a ton of people looking at them and I thought I was going to have some stiff competition. I was able to get a short deep base Center fill maytag for $40. There's only like 16 complete engines known to exist. I believe they only made about 2500 of these that went on the model G washer. I was able to come away with 16 maytags and a Fairmont railway engine for $700. Farm auctions are a good way to go for good deals on engines for the most part.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:02:27 PM
Registered-I

I am going to guess that a lot of the more common models went for more then $40.00 also. This goes back to people not knowing the value of what they are looking at. Rare models often go for a low price because someone does not know there value, the same as someone paying to much for a common model because they do not know there value. This also goes to someone setting the price on an engine. It pay to do a little research .
Old 03-29-2017, 04:39:25 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paul View Post
Two observations here. One: As an auctioneer I'm always amused by the old timers who got into collecting, (and it doesn't matter what category because it's all of them) on the ground floor and bought everything on the cheap. As in dirt cheap. And over a period of 20, 30 or 40 years they've managed to build a world class collection that is the envy of all for miles around. These are the guys who can pee and moan the longest and loudest about how the entire category is now being taken over by the greedy, speculating SOB's that are ruining it for everyone and blah, blah, blah. And all the while they're crying this song they are conveniently overlooking the fact that their collection has gone up in value exponentially because of all the people they're grousing about. When it comes time to sell out they're not much interested in passing it along to a young guy without a pot or a window but they are very interested in squeezing it for every last dime. Two: the buying market is heavily influenced by people buying what they remember. Grandpa's steamer, Pa's first tractor, the engine that was given to the neighbor at a time when nobody cared about memories or heritage. While old iron in general has enjoyed the rare luxury of being less affected by this than other collectible categories, it's not immune to market forces. Look at the drop in Ford N series tractors. The men who grew up with them are now at an age where they're no longer collecting, or worse, they're dying. The younger collector doesn't have the same affinity for these tractors. He wants that IH or JD that dad owned in the 60s or 70s. And for the the guy in his 30s that would love to own a steamer, a wife, kids and mortgage can put a real reality check on the wish list. Just like it did for every collector before him.
So much truth in this post. You'd think an old timer who got an engine for nothing would like to try to pass it along to a younger collector and keep the hobby and tradition alive, but greed usually takes over.

I never really thought about the value of what my collection will be worth later in life, since I've only started collecting a handful of years ago so I never got my engines on the cheap. Someone asked me recently if I thought there will be a market for these engines in 20-30-40-50 years and it struck me, will there be people wanting to still collect the way there is now? Now there are still guys who grew up with them or have the funds to buy them, but what happens when that generation has passed. Will the younger people even care? I collect for my own selfish needs so I don't have a sell strategy in mind, but that person asking me got me thinking.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:31:33 AM
Registered-II

I guess you have to go to auctions to get these maytags at a decent price. I still cant see that darned 200 to 300 a copy. Guess those guys are NOT dealers...they are just buying low and selling high. I m a collector...i have probably 6 that will run. i paid at most 75.00. oh well. the good ol days are gone. thanks american pickers.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:38:47 PM
Subscriber

Years ago when I was just getting really into engines a man had a model 72 twin with the oddest gas tank I'd ever seen ..it was real long and I thought it might be some sort of home made replacement or something...called a friend and asked if it was worth anything...the guy was honest and said the $75 price was a real bargain for a generator engine...had I not known I'd have just passed and left it to go find a "ear tank" model....ignorance is bliss
Old 11-26-2017, 06:31:00 PM
Registered

Greed is a pretty stiff pejorative to banter about in the U.S. over a demand increase for older engines and associated equipment. While it's obviously disappointing to see items we'd like to have trending out of our comfort zone in pricing, it's the surest way to see the items in question survive and NOT be hauled off for scrap or used in someone's crap art creation.

The internet has benefitted this by bringing the reality of the machines to millions. People see these things who never realized for an instant that a washing machine used to have a gasoline engine to operate it. Out of all those noobs there's a small fraction of them who are going to be bitten by the bug and think this stuff is the coolest thing since post it notes. The interest will save multitudes of these machines and their associated parts which in many instances could suffer the dump or the recycler when families go to clean out a deceased elder members belongings (and believe me, I've had this occur personally when younger, and seen it on an epic scale with discarded items caught at the dump).

Once the novelty wears off the prices will drop, the hobby will be fleshed out with a new crop of youngsters and they'll be a bunch of old iron either popping away as displays, or better yet, doing some work it was originally designed to do!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:56:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,247 Posts

I finally got over kicking myself for ever selling the one I owned back in the 60s for about $15.... What got me over my regret was the realization that such a treasure would NEVER have survived all the moving around I've done since I sold it.
Doc
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts

Sold at the last Jacktown show (Oct'17) Model 92 Maytag, built 7/37 had aftermarket aluminum muffler. Got $175 for it - running. model 72- D Maytag twin Engine has extension to original crank that extends past kick starter. About 1/2" diameter, 2" long. Engine also has aftermarket wrap a rope starter - an aluminum disc mounted to the flywheel side of the engine. Engine has original aluminum tank and hanging mounting brackets. original paint and excellent original decal on tank. I got $225 for it, and the buyer didn't blink when he asked the price. Should I have asked for more? Other Maytag engine sellers prices ranged from 125 to 175 for the common ones - some sold, some didn't. Quite a few did change hands though!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:57:36 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: MAYTAG ENGINES...built of GOLD?

Im a collector. NO i wouldnt sell or even give you one. I ll keep what i got. I dont aske "WHATS IT WORTH all the time. You on the other hand...buy sell trade etc...cause you got lots to spend. great. Merry Christmas.