Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Portland, selling before show

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1186 times

Old 08-25-2017, 12:48:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Portland, selling before show

i know the sellers at portland sell among them selves before the show officially opens ,but talking to some them they told me non venders were in the show buying on sunday,monday,tuesday before the show started on Wednesday. i collect and play with maytags and talked to a non vender friend and he bought three 1/2 horse uprights on tuesday for $200.00 each. i feel most of the good/rare stuff is sold before the show starts on Wednesday. for the most part whats left is the junk and stuff priced out of this world. i dont know how this can be controlled but the general public should not be allowed in the show before it starts on Wednesday!!!!! .im done with my rant.
clement
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 02:33:31 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,594 Times in 2,432 Posts
Default Re: portland, selling before show

I'm sure there plenty of good vendors out there. But I also know there are some that aren't. I tend to patronize the regular repeat vendors that patronize our shows each year. You pretty much get to know the better ones after a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 03:21:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,305 Posts

If a man has something for sale,and another man is standing there with the money, it should be sold.
It is not the vendors fault any of us are slow getting to his place. It is no different to sell something on a monday before you get there on a Thursday than if it got sold 5 minutes before you got to his booth. You were late,the early bird got the worm.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 04:31:53 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,528 Posts

It happens at a lot of shows. Several years ago, I brought a trailer load of small engines to Jacktown, on a Thursday night (show runs fri-sun). I didn't even get the trailer unhooked when I was made an offer on the lot, that I couldn't refuse! It happens. only thing you can do is grin and bear it, and if possible, get there a day early
Old 08-25-2017, 07:42:34 PM
Subscriber

from the posts above i guess i am just a fool to think the show starts on weds .just come when you want before the show starts , dont pay for the show admittance and buy what you want ,dont worry about the guys that follow the rules ,its the american way, screw the people that follow the rules!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:55:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,554 Times in 940 Posts

Never been to Portland, would love to go. From what I understand from a vendor, they go around those early days and shop for things to add to their sell table, etc. Things someone brought but are not really insterested in selling, but have. This lets the vendors dispose of the stuff that is not their primary selling area. Yes, this can't be sold then, but, committed to, and maybe paid for, but they don't ACTUALLY go by and pick it up until the correct buy/sell day. It's a double edged sword. Some folks go around and commit to things that they later take home and clean up for sale at a later show. I do understand your point of view though. Each dealer knows what they want and getting it at the show allows them to see it, in person and dicker a bit on price. Each dealer is always needing new stock to put in their sales area. It makes for a more consolidated table of a certain product.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:41:38 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,594 Times in 2,432 Posts

Well in all fairness, it's not like an item advertised on an auction sale bill. Flea market vendors aren't bound by any such time lines. So there aren't many rules for waiting to any advertised time lines. If the vendor promised someone that they would hold an item for a certain viewing then that's a bit different.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03:35 PM
Registered-I

I have been vending for decades, in many different venues; and have seen just about all things happen.

The promoter of the show, any show; will usually give vendors a day to get in their spaces and set up. Some shows draw vendor from across the country. In doing that, the general public is usually blocked from coming into the show for a couple of reasons, on Set-Up Day"

1. The general public crowds make it hard for vender to get in and set up; they clog the aisle and such.
2. The promoter wants the general public, to have a good representation of "good" items to look over and maybe buy. Saying that, the general public won't come to a certain show if there are not some good items.
3. The vendor, once set up; nothing stops them from walking around, and maybe buy a bargain.
4. Here is a solution: buy a vending space, and get there on Set-up Day. I'm not saying that is Right or OK; but it is being done.
This is done everywhere, Carlisle, Hershey, Portland, everywhere.

Again, I am not the judge; but this happens.

rustynuts
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustynuts For This Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 07:31:16 AM
Subscriber

if any body read my original post i know the sellers swap and sell before opening day, i am not talking about the sellers .i am talking about the general public coming in two to three days before opening day and buying all the good stuff. i know i could do that too but then i would be just like the people i am talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2017, 12:57:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,305 Posts
Default Re: Portland, selling before show

Clement ,my goodness,you are all worked up over nothing.
There is nothing wrong with being a educated consumer and knowing when to find bargains.
Unless the show grounds prohibit it,I can't see that the bargain hunters or vendors are committing any sin. Vendors are there to generate income. The bargain hunters are there with cash. Ideal environment for both.
Also,Being I used to be able to work a public job,I am familiar with not being able to get a vacation day that is best suited to attend a show. I got there when i could. Am I supposed to expect a vendor to turn down earnest money to wait on some yahoo like me to come meandering up trying to beat him down price wise on the item he could have sold full price 3 days ago?
I aint figured out why show promoters would not want their vendors to make the most money possible.It brings them back!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 09:24:59 PM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 3,811 Times in 592 Posts

Years ago the directors at Portland really tried to enforce the rule about no selling before 9 am on Wednesday morning. The key word is tried. No one cares anymore.. I remember a couple times I actually left the show grounds with engines and met a buyer at Walmart and did the deal there.

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
Old 08-26-2017, 10:34:21 PM
Subscriber

Kind of like an "Early Bird" gets the worm thing. With me....If I have something for sale, the 1st one to "Show Me the Money" wins. Period.