Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

1 HP upright Maytag information and photos

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 46582 times

Old 06-25-2009, 06:41:05 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 1 HP upright Maytag information and photos

Hi, The uprights are great fun to collect but keep in mind when you go to buy one that unlike the later engines 92s and 72s There is no such thing as a cheap part for an upright. Any part other then carb parts, rings commutator and so forth, basically any part that can be relatively easily made today is not too bad. BUT be wary of broken and missing iron parts, they will cost ya, IF you can even find them. Good flywheels are amongst the hardest part to find and a critical part to have in good condition. Don't be afraid to call on the group to ask questions if you are in a position to do so. Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shulaw For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52:38 PM
Registered-III

I am with you on that tube I've seen several but no real idea why they are there. Just some guesses. After all theres enough room for venting around the carb tube washer. But maybe, well no, theres no reason to wildly speculate. Just don't know what its really for. Maytag must have just decided once that they needed a vent.Or else some buyer specked the vent for their application. Till we learn different thats my story and I'm Sticking to it! I must say though that a couple of the tubes I seen were different then whats on your engine. Just a brass tube sticking up. Hey Just heard Michael Jackson died at UCLA Med Center of cardiac arrest. The stars die in threes, Ed McMan, Farah Fawcett and Mikey, all in two days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Marc, The 1 hp in the picture is mine and I think the brass nipple was for some kind of vent or something?? Mr. Shulaw, do you have any ideas?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20:42 PM
Registered-III

Mark,
I talked with a collector in TN, yes you know him. He thinks that many were sold on (1HP) mowers, and that the tube, while probably not originally brass (I agree) were to vent. He is not positive, this is just his guess as well.

IT'S A MAYTAG THING!! most people wouldn't understand.

As far as the famous people passing away, I will dearly miss Ed McMahon. To bad about Farrah and it's a sure bet that Mikey is finally off the pampers patch.

Last edited by Marc P; 06-25-2009 at 08:23:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38:32 PM
Registered-III

On the vent tube issue of the 1 HP engines, my recollection of the ones I have seen was of a tube about 3 to 4" tall, about 1/8"? pipe, with male threads on the tank side and female threads on top with a 1/8"? pipe plug. I was thinking the tube was brass but after talking with Bob his two are steel or maluable iron. I may be remembering a restored dressed up engine that has had a brass pipe put in. I never though to ask him if the plug on his is vented. Matter of fact I am not certain if those I have seen are a vented cap. If they are not the vent idea is a bust. Now every body go look at the pictures of the engine Tom just bought, go to the view looking straight down on the engine and in the area where a Vent? Tube could be it looks like a piece of metal has been peened into place plugging a hole. I noticed it before but never thought much about it till Bob K mentioned that his engine with the same base has the tube then I remembered that odd spot and went back to look again.
While we are on the subject of 1 hp engines anyone got a spare cylinder? Mark

Last edited by Mark Shulaw; 06-26-2009 at 10:36:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:52:20 PM
Registered-III

[Quote/]I talked with a collector in TN, yes you know him. He thinks that many were sold on (1HP) mowers, and that the tube, while probably not originally brass (I agree) were to vent.[Quote]
Marc,
That might make some sense. On a mower they would see some josling about and the area around the fuel tube might tend to splash and leak fuel. And that said I have seen one or two times a rubber washer like thingy with a spring on it on the carb fuel tube that seems to be acting like a seal. Then the tube replaces the vent area around the carb. Mark
Old 06-27-2009, 11:55:40 PM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=Mark Shulaw;421356][Quote/]I talked with a collector in TN, yes you know him. He thinks that many were sold on (1HP) mowers, and that the tube, while probably not originally brass (I agree) were to vent.
Quote:
Marc,
That might make some sense. On a mower they would see some josling about and the area around the fuel tube might tend to splash and leak fuel. And that said I have seen one or two times a rubber washer like thingy with a spring on it on the carb fuel tube that seems to be acting like a seal. Then the tube replaces the vent area around the carb. Mark
The ones I have seen have been brass. I have never seen a vent on one, only a brass cap. strange!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12:05 AM
Registered-III

It's a Maytag thing, we'll probably never understand!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27:17 AM
Registered-III

[Quote]M Pavlik
It's a Maytag thing, we'll probably never understand![Quote]

Probably right but we will keep trying. Thats the fun in it. Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shulaw For This Post:
Old 06-29-2009, 10:30:26 AM
Registered-III

[QUOTE=Tom S;421821 The ones I have seen have been brass. I have never seen a vent on one, only a brass cap. strange![/QUOTE]
I guess thats something else to keep an eye out for. I have got to get better at note and picture taking of things like this on the uprights. Mark
Old 07-05-2009, 03:40:31 PM
Registered-III

Well I finally got my 1HP stoveleg home. Rocky and Karen came to the Brandenburg, KY show and dropped it off to me, I gave him a fat wad of cash in exchange. Needless to say we had peoples attention, including some of the organizers and members of other clubs, one guy literally begged me to show at their show. Rocky showed up with 4 upright 1/2's, he ran the city gas one on propane, three 1/4 HP Elgins his fruitjar, his cutaway twin and loads of cans and other Maytag items and a Sears Water Witch engine. I took 14 1/2's and had two 1HP's, two twins, my cutaway twin (it wouldn't start it got flooded in the rain--), a butter churn and a slew of oil cans.

Here are some pics of the one horse stoveleg, the 6s Briggs is my brothers, he has had this engine since he was 12 years old. The other pic is just one I thought Tom and Mark might get a kick out of, it is heavy steel porcilain coated (Elgin watches? engines?.)

By the way Tom, in your curio cabinet in your dining room I can see your straight spout mixing can, I need one do you have an extra for sale?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	junk 081.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	57983   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk 082.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	57984   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk 089.jpg
Views:	492