Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M- Reconditioning the fuel pump.

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1370 times

Old 02-04-2013, 02:56:06 PM
Registered-I

Default IHC M- Reconditioning the fuel pump.

I've got one of the older zinc fuel pumps for my M. Other than corrosion on the check ball seats, it is in good shape.

I'm having a problem with fuel leaking out of the mixer through the fuel inlet, so I know it is still leaking on both check valves. Does anyone have any tips on reconditioning the valve seats? The corrosion is fairly tough, so I'm not sure that welding a checkball to a piece of rod and running it in a drill to clean up the seats would do much good. I suspect that using valve grinding compound would just result in grit being embedded in the soft metal.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27:41 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: IHC M- Reconditioning the fuel pump.

I'm assuming when you say that its leaking out, its doing that when its not running,which is the norm on the M's , none of mine will hold the prime in the carb for any period of time-you just have to re-prime the top end for every start, as for the check ball seats the steps you've talked about are the only fixes I've used, use the valve compound just dont go wild with the drill
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,349 Times in 4,102 Posts

Zinc is a hard, brittle metal. Some grinding compound on an old check ball, should work OK. The biggest problems with the Zinc pumps, used on the Ms, is that the zinc worps with age (metal stress), and that the check ports will erode at an angle, as gravity pulls the ball off center.

When lapping the check seats, just remove enough metal to clean up the seat. As Tom said, leakdown is normal for these units. Simply priming should be good enough to start it.
Andrew
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46:48 PM
Registered-I

I would only attempt this if your pump seats are is super poor shape:
Take a drill bit the same diameter as the check ball and place it into the pump till it bottoms out, then place a set collar on the shaft about 1/32" above the top of the pump. Drill at a moderate speed with light pressure and this will resurface the bottom of the pump. Then use the ball welded on the shaft with some tri-clover compound to re-seat the ball.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36:16 PM
Registered-I

It held it's prime long enough to start it the first time, now the fuel escapes from the mixer pretty quickly. I think there were some air bubbles keeping the fuel from making its way back into the tank through the fuel pump and once those were gone, surface tension is letting the fuel flow out of the mixer at a higher rate.

I'm very happy it ran for the first time, I only let it run for about 10 seconds and then I closed the fuel valve to stop it. I did not have the governor hooked up and I did not want to let it overspeed. I also need to shim the main bearings before it will be safe to run it.

My four year old son was very exited to see it run. He knows the names and functions of most of the parts of the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to onstottc For This Post:
Old 02-04-2013, 05:57:37 PM
Registered-I

Thats great that you got it to fire! Glad to hear it. My two children are both future engine nuts. They love to go to shows and "work" on them in the garage.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30:06 AM
Registered-I

I made new brass check valve seats by flaring the end of a piece brass tubing to fit the new check ball and cut the flare off leaving about a 3/16"-1/4" of tubing on the flare. I applied some metal filled retaining compound that was gas resistant to the new seat then slid the new seat down a small rod into the old seat, I drove the new seat home using a ball bearing the same size as the check ball and a wooden dowel. I do not remember the size of brass tubing I used but it just fit in the hole bellow the seat. This was on the fuel pump of a 6hp Type M and the fuel pump is still working 12 years later. Gregg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreggL66 For This Post: