Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Waterman engine- generator

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 4628 times

Old 11-17-2000, 11:39:08 PM
Doug Reachard

Default Waterman engine- generator

Has any one ever seen another Waterman generator.Very unique-4 cycle, NO VALVES Yes thats right. Its done with a ported rotating sleeve.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2000, 09:56:55 AM
Gus Simms

Default Re: Waterman engine- generator

I haven't seen one in person, but Alan King's "Farm Electric Plant, Monograph No.9" shows a 1917 Unilectric made by Waterman Motor Co. The 1920 specs. in the back of the same book list it as a single cyl.,3HP at 1500 RPM, 1 KW, 110 VDC. Anyone who is serious about collecting lightplants will find this book is a bible. Alamo and Willys also had so called "valveless" engines. Alamo used a rotating sleeve and Willys used reciprocating sleeves. I have two of the Willys, but so far the Unilectric and Alamo have escaped my greedy clutches.

Old 11-18-2000, 08:59:16 PM
Doug Reachard

Thanks for the reply Gus. I've seen several Willis engines but this one doesn't use ecentrics to operate the sleeve valves. The cylinder sleeve is geared to the crank and uses PORTS at the proper time to intake & exhaust. I didn't know Alamo made a Valveless 4-Cycle?How did it Operate?Who has one of them.
Old 11-19-2000, 09:24:17 AM
Gus Simms

The Alamo was at the same auction in Maryland that I bought one of my Willys. It brought $300 plus abot 6 or 7 years ago. I'd have bought that too, but the Willys cleaned me out. It is shown in King's Monogram No.9 as the Silent Alamo. The Willys is called the Silent Knight. I corresponded with someone who has a Waterman, if I find it I'll pass it along to you. GUS
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42:45 AM
Registered

Hi Guys - I have the Waterman Unlectric 1917 - I have posted previously but still need some assistance with the wiring diagrams and carburetor. Maybe one of you have something similar to give me some clues.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26:27 PM
eMail NOT Working

Fourteen years...

I wonder if Gus and Doug are still alive...
Old 12-26-2014, 05:47:28 PM
Registered-III

Doug here----I am still doing just fine & just finishing up a George Pohl 13HP Portable.I always get visitors going to Yellowstone Park in the summer.& take in several tractor-engine shows. Doug Reachard rdreachard@tctwest.net
Old 12-27-2014, 08:17:37 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Waterman engine- generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
Fourteen years...

I wonder if Gus and Doug are still alive...
Damn right I'm still alive, and I finally rounded up the Alamo, just last spring, and it came with another Wllys.
That makes three Willys I've dragged home. The Alamo and Waterman are way more elusive.

Both engines were stuck, jammed up with carbon from the oil they burned up. I don't think the design of either was very good, but the Alamo seems to have way more room for improvement.

Some pics of the sleeve arrangement on both, I think they will both run if I can keep my head on straight. I keep getting side tracked.

The pic of the drive gear for the Alamo sleeve got in the wrong place.

The sleeve in the Alamo rotates 4X slower than the crankshaft.
A bit confusing, I had to plot the series of events to understand the four cycles. In brief, the sleeve has two ports directly opposite each other. the cylinder has three points of interest, the intake, exhaust and spark plug spaced at 1/3 points (120 degrees) on the circumference. In eight rotations of the sleeve (two rotations of the crank) one of the these points and a blanks space for the compression stoke are exposed to one of the two ports on the sleeve.
I hope I said that right, I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.

DIW, please post a couple pics of your Unilectric, I've only seen the illustration in Alan King's book. I'm thinking it may operate the same as the Alamo.
The Alamo tag calls it the Ide system.

GUS

Edit: The first and last pics are the Alamo, the two in the middle are the Willies. The Willies has two small connecting rods operating the sleeves.
Both engines set themselves up for high oil consumption.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3552.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	214381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3523.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	214382   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3524.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	214383   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010572.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	214384  

Last edited by GeneratorGus; 12-27-2014 at 08:30:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:20:49 PM
Registered-III

Hey Gus--Doug here & doing fine--It appears the Waterman operates the same as your Alamo engine. Strange how so many different systems were tried over the years and many like the Waterman & Alamo didn't pan out. Doug
Old 01-05-2019, 05:49:24 PM
Subscriber

Good afternoon everyone , Lee in Maryland I have a 1/2 kw Unilectric that I have just started working on , have the mag. out now and will start carb. ? work on when that comes back , have it mounted on an old truck jack frame to make it movable . I got it maybe 25 years ago locally and have found very little information on them . Just found out last summer it is a sleeve valve or Dyke's type engine .