Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Fairbanks Morse belt driven generator?

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3088 times

Old 09-25-2007, 04:14:08 PM
In Memory Of

Default Fairbanks Morse belt driven generator?

I've been asked (nicely) to get this Fairbanks Morse belt driven generator working for a friend.

I'm sure I can trace every thing down and get it working, but a wiring diagram could save me some time. Would any one have such an animal as a wiring diagram for this unit? I would certainly appreciate the help.

The engine serial number is: 400902, according to my list that would make it a 1919. I haven't really looked at a lot of those Z engines, but the Bosch trip magneto doesn't look like one I have seen on those engines.

This link will take you to my "photo gallery" and you can look over the pictures I've put there.

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/brow...&imageuser=467

Thanks for any help you can provide.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,347 Times in 4,100 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairbanks Morse belt driven generator?

Hi Don,
I have a hand drawn wiring diagram I made from a F/M owners manual, #2575E. It is for a slightly later unit, but I think it will work. Are all the workings still mounted to the plate above the generator frame (current selector switch, resistor, fuse, terminal block)? I believe the engine ignition may have been changed, or the engine even replaced, as the 'Special Electric' units usually put on these frames, used a timer and coil, powered by the battery set - through the generator, and the resistor block. Send me an E.M with your info, and I will send you a copy of my diagram. If you can locate a copy of the F/M 2575 booklet, it is pretty useful.
Andrew
Old 09-26-2007, 05:18:02 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse belt driven generator?

Looks like you're working with an AB-34 magneto, correct? They don't have the familiar brass grounding brush holder on the top of the housing that the AB-33's have.

I have some literature on similar lightplants tucked away and I think there is a wiring diagram or two. It may take a couple days to dig down that deep though.

I will let you know what I find.