Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Volts & Amps out of Briggs & Stratton ignitions?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 10335 times

Old 03-20-2009, 12:13:02 AM
Registered

Question Volts & Amps out of Briggs & Stratton ignitions?

My first post here. Anyone have any data on how many volts & amps are produced by the modern solid-state Briggs & Stratton magnetos (excluding the spark plug) ? So far I've been told a range of 10,000 to 75,000 volts and no info on the amps. Also, does it vary between engines (e.g. 4hp vs 18hp)?
I've checked the Briggs website and was hoping for more exact figures for the different models, but to no avail.
I have a magneto + flywheel from a disassembled 4hp Briggs and was hoping to be able to use it for science experiments. 20,000 volts with at least 8 amps would be the ideal current, the more the better, and did not know if the one I had put out that much; if not I'd buy one with more current. But again, I haven't found any info on the current ratings of the different Briggs magnetos.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39:24 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Re: Volts & Amps out of Briggs & Stratton ignitions?

Thew mag will not produce the current you are looking for. Eight amps at 20KV is about 160 Kilowatts. This is some VERY HEAVY DUTY power AND WOULD BE VERY DANGEOUS to work with. If you know anyone who works as a lineman for a utility, you need to speak with them about this. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58:33 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,897 Times in 2,967 Posts

Kent:

I strongly second what you just wrote!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:40:05 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy1 View Post
Anyone have any data on how many volts & amps are produced by the modern solid-state Briggs & Stratton magnetos
I have a magneto + flywheel from a disassembled 4hp Briggs and was hoping to be able to use it for science experiments. 20,000 volts with at least 8 amps would be the ideal current
Hey Wolfy1,
What kind of "science experiments" are you trying to do? As has already been stated, 160kva continuous is sufficient to power an entire block in the suburbs. I would guess the current output from a Briggs mag to be in the 50 milliamp range, but that's merely a guess. Additionally, the output is a narrow pulse and contains very little energy. The voltage can be easily approximated by measuring the distance the spark will jump between two non-pointy electrodes. The breakdown voltage of dry air at sea-level is ~10,000 volts per centimeter for moderate-width gaps. With a little more info on what you're trying to do, we may be better able to serve you.
Wolfy, your thought process and initiative are commendable. Keep pressing in.

Kirk

Anybody (Elden??) out there ever scope magneto output and can tell Wolfy what kind of energy is involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 03-22-2009, 01:13:05 AM
Registered

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a gym bike, portable a/c, air compressor off of a big rig, and a ceiling fan - all stuff that is about to be thrown away and all have rotating parts. Was thinking of attaching the flywheel to the rotating parts and use the magneto to power something. Not sure what yet, just brainstorming...definitely not a spark plug.... it all depends on how much the current output is.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:03:17 PM
Registered-II

Okay, I think that you are in need of some "enlightenment".

Magneto's can "bite like a ...." This is from experience. The voltage isn't terribly high, but the current (mili-amps, BTW) is fairly substantial. In comparison to the conventional auto ignition (Points) they have possibly more current, but less voltage. Modern electronic ignitions have heaps more voltage... (wider gaps on plugs).

Now back to my days of "hot rodding ignition coils" We were playing with high voltages, and dis-assembled a coil to install it in a can with mineral oil. Running it on up around 30 volts we could get sparks of over 3/4 inch long.... Then rectified it with a tube, and charged some up a home made capacitor....

It is a wonder that I am alive when you figure the stuff I have played with.(neon xfmr's as well)

-Pat
Old 03-29-2009, 09:54:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,644 Times in 2,178 Posts

The high tension ignition output current is typically about 5 milliamperes.
A good rectifier tube is a 1B3 with dry cell for the filament, or you can take the complete HV supply from an old 1940s electrostatic deflection TV set. They are very low current and safe. Don't try to use the HV from a more modern magnetic deflection set unless you learn more than trying to get 8 amps from a lawn mower ignition, though. They are dangerous.