Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

No ac voltage from my Lifan generator

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4792 times

Old 08-22-2011, 09:30:25 PM
Registered-I

Default No ac voltage from my Lifan generator

I have a lifan 2.8GF-4 generator. Its a Honda clone. This is what I have done to date; checked fuses-ok, put on a new avr, checked volts 6.4 ac volts, .49dc volts. With no luck. I need a schematic. Looks like a have 2 rectifier diodes. I need some help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 04:22:29 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: No ac voltage from my Lifan generator

Go here:

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generator.php

They have manuals available for their Honda "clones" for download. They have many models and they may have one that is close to your model. The generator end is similar across many chineese makes. They also have a good selection of spare parts in stock.

Good luck.
Randy AB9GO[

This document applies to many of the "made in china" models that I have seen that utilize an AVR based on a the Honda design.

This bulletin covers the following Champion Power Equipment models:
All Champion Power Equipment Gasoline Generators

Note: Read instructions completely before performing service.
1. Remove the two (2) 7mm bolts in the yellow end cover on the generator end.
2. Locate the AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) at 7 o’clock position, Brush assembly at 11
o’clock and the Terminal block at 4 o’clock.
3. Identify the Terminal block connections as 1 thru 4 from high to low.
4. Test the brushes for DC power excitement by removing either wire from the brush holder
and scratching against its connection to notice a bright blue spark. This is only 12 volts so
there is no danger of electrical shock. (Flash Test)
5. If no spark appears, then remove the brush assembly and check for damage. (i.e. - burnt
contacts, broken carbon brush or any other physical damage that is evident.) Remove brush
assembly and inspect for any damage, re-install and repeat flash test for spark. If spark
does appear re-install terminal and check for voltage output at meter.
6. If no spark appears, then excite the brushes with an external 12 volt power source. If this
produces panel voltage on the volt meter, then the stator and rotor are OK and replacement
of the AVR is necessary.
7. If still there is no voltage, it is time to check the rotor for continuity. Remove the brush
holder and using a continuity tester, touch each of the slip rings that contact the brushes for
continuity. The tester should be giving you a closed test. If you have no continuity between
the slip rings on the rotor, then check to see if there is a broken wire at the connection
between the stator and slip rings. You can see the connections with the brushes removed.

8. Test the AC output at the terminal block by attaching your voltage multi-meter at the
terminal block between connections #1 and #2, #2 and #3. Both of these tests should show
120-122 volts. If either test is low, then you probably have a defective stator. If the voltage
is good at these connections, then you must check all the wiring between the terminal block
and the panel for poor or broken connections.
9. The hot leads will normally be brown or blue (120v). The neutral or common will usualy be
white in color. If all voltage is lost after plugging in an outside load, then the neutral wire
has a poor connection in its circuit. If you only lose one winding’s output, then the brown or
blue wires will possibly have a broken connection in its circuit.

Champion Power Equipment, Inc.
10006 Santa Fe Springs Rd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Phone: 1-877-338-0999

Also could you post a picture of the end of the generator with the cover removed??
Old 09-01-2011, 01:32:12 PM
Registered-I

Hi ab9go; I did what you mentioned. With no voltage. But, I did get the blue spark at the brush term. To send you a picture my camera doesn't give a clear picture. I checked out Champion P.E.Inc. Still with no luck. I need a Lifan 2.8GF-4 generator trouble shooting guide. All the new ones are inverted style.

Is their a way I can check out my avr? I checked out the diode. They are ok. I wil try and send a picture from my Sony camera. The cel phone camera is fuzzy.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23:05 PM
Registered-I

Hi; I got my Lifan generator up and running yesterday. I took the back end apart. removed avr,2 exciter coil connectors and brush assy. Noticed the brushes connect surface area uneven. Filed the surface flat. Then used a round file and shaped the contact surface. That surface shape was similar to the slip ring round surface. Assembled everything on the back end. Started the unit. My voltmeter showed voltage. Thanks for all the info.Bob
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20:17 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert thomas View Post
I have a lifan 2.8GF-4 generator. Its a Honda clone. This is what I have done to date; checked fuses-ok, put on a new avr, checked volts 6.4 ac volts, .49dc volts. With no luck. I need a schematic. Looks like a have 2 rectifier diodes. I need some help.
I cleaned the brushes. Then squared and curved to shape of slip ring. Put everything back together. Fired up the gen set. I have voltage. Nothing wrong with my original AVR. Thanks for all the help.