Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Honeywell Inveter Generator?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2040 times

Old 11-21-2011, 08:57:20 AM
Registered-III

Default Honeywell Inveter Generator?

I think Honeywell is a well respected, quality Americn manufacturer. Certainly their boiler controls and thermostats are long lived and reliable.

Why are their inverter genreators half the price of Hondas and Yamahas? Are they just rebranding a Chinese unit? Anhyone have any experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 12:37:13 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Honeywell Inveter Generator?

I think you have hit upon the reason already

now cheap can be reliable, but NOT usually in generators that
one finds at retail stores
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh For This Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 01:12:24 PM
Registered-II

they are rebranded generac models, it says so in the brochure on honeywells website. generacs cheap stuff is from china
The Following User Says Thank You to joneg For This Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 01:35:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanks guys. That's what I was afraid of. But I'm surprised Honeywell would do that. THey are risking their good reputation.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:28:48 PM
Subscriber

Anything goes for the bottom line, that and different divisions of Honeywell have different philosophies.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:37:53 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,058 Posts

MANY old line companies have traded on their good names for profits. Look at Black and Decker. Years ago they only built quality drill, saws, and other shop tools. Now look at the crap they build. John Deere with their lawn mowers. At one time they ONLY built Lawn Tractors. They still do BUT you will NOT find them at Home Depot or Lowe's. The same with Cub Cadet but they at least were sold to Made To Die before the quality went south. And do I even dare say ONAN since Cummings bought the name. This might get me ban from the Onan Power sub-forum

Kent
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,498 Times in 511 Posts

I own a Honeywell HW2000I inverter generator. I gave $425 shipped to my door. It is a chinese knock off of the Honda EU2000I. It is a bit bigger, weighs a bit more, isn't as quiet, etc. That being said, It is quiet, and fuel efficient. It runs well, and once you figure out the starting procedure, starts reasonably well. It is easy to flood, especially if you follow the recomended starting procedure. My boy and his cousin have run it for at least 100 hours at their cabin in the woods. They can start it themselves easily enough. It does die occasionally for no good reason, which I attribute to an overly sensitive "low oil" sensor. It only seems to do it to them though. My only real problems have been that the rope is being cut by a sharp edge while running. It gets down to just a few strands in 8 hours of running. I will fix that when I get time to put a new rope in it. Other than that it doesn't like starting anything with a large inrush current. Even a big shop vac has been known to kill it, especially if it is idling in eco mode when you start it. All in all, it has been a good purchase for me, ymmv.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:55:56 PM
Registered-III

Based on what I have read online (no personal experience)
I have read several people that bought these, some worked out fine for them. Others trashed it and bought a Honda.
It seemed the users that used them alot and logged a lot of hours prefer the Honda's.
The occassional weekenders, the Honeywell/Kipor/Generac/Lifan's seem to work fine for them.
I have a Lifan engine on my rototiller that works great for me, no complaints for $100

For my needs, I need a very quite generator to power my sound equipment during wedding ceremonies. So noise is a big factor for me, so I am saving up for a Honda EU2000i.
Primary reason - noise.
Secondary reason - parts availability