Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines, Steam Boats

40 Gaar Scott Restoration

this thread has 284 replies and has been viewed 51825 times

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53:41 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,333 Posts
Default Re: 40 Gaar Scott Restoration

Lawrence,
Started on the tear-down yet? Would love to hear some of the gory details, if you have!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts

Mike,

Not yet, I did pull the rig over to the shop yesterday and wash all of the Iowa/Minnesota salt off of the truck, trailer, and most importantly, the 40hp motor. As I was telling Jerred last night on the phone, the motor hadn't ever been subjected to salt before...why make it endure it now!

As for why I hadn't started on tearing down the motor yet. I had some things I had to finish up last week before I start devoting my time to the restoration of such a cool project. I'm planning to put the motor into the shop today. I'm also building a heavy bodied table to support the weight of the motor. That will take about a day or so. I have some 3/8" plate that I need to stitch together to get a table 3' wide by 8' long. I'm going to add six 1,500 lbs. wheel casters to the table so I can move the motor more easily around the shop.

Anyway, I'll keep you all abreast of any "real" progress I start making. On a similar note...I'm looking for a shop that can braze the broken half out of the 'A' arm support and weld in pieces to build up the teeth on the crank pinion. Anybody have suggestions for me for the Minnesota/Iowa area. I plan to contact Jim Briden and getting a quote from him. Anybody know of any others that can do the same work? Thanks.

Lawrence
Old 01-12-2009, 12:37:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,120 Times in 2,106 Posts

Lawrence,
This was that last day in September 1956 when she had smoke emitting from the smokestack. That's my friend, the late Walt Mehmke, standing on the side tank and he was in charge of her that day. Different people took turns in the crows nest. I did get a snippet of 16mm footage with the late Gwen Tyler up there steering. She was "Grampy" Tyler's little queen and in Mike Tyler's class, one year ahead of me, at Moore High School. She is shown sitting in the plaid shirt at left on the coal bunker. She succumbed horribly to MS.

I for one will be following the progress and will be darn anxious to see smoke emitting from the smokestack again!
Gary

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,965 Times in 600 Posts

Gary,

Nice photo...and the additional information about the photo and other particulars is great. This is definately an exciting project to be involved in. Thanks again for the photo and such. I would have thanked you on your post, but I'm out of "thanks" and half the time when I can thank someone, I can't. My new computer and software doesn't always want to work so well with Harry's site. It is a crap shoot for me whether a thanks will stick or not. Anyway, "Thanks"!

Well I better get out to the shop. I have been getting price quotes for material and work that I can't do in my shop this morning...hence why I'm still on the computer. But I need to get some "physical" things done now. Later.

Lawrence

Lawrence
The Following User Says Thank You to GaarScott For This Post:
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,399 Times in 473 Posts

lawrence,

for your busted cast iron pieces, i've had surprisingly excellent results with the squirt gun (mig/wire). i only use it on things that don't need to be machined afterword, as you will get quite a bit of carbide precipitation since gray iron has such a high carbon content, if you tried machining the deposited bead you would likely wipe out tungsten carbide cutters. it is a strong fusion joint and is pretty easy. just make sure that your parts are properly beveled (leave a land at the root so you don't burn thru), preheat, peen, and post heat. if you don't believe me find some scrap, bevel it and run some test pieces, let cool and whack with a hammer or drop on floor.

as for your pinion, you could do what the old timers did.... make a template, build up worn teeth, and dress down to template.

a method i use for making gear teeth templates is to find a piece of light gauge scrap sheet metal (20ga.), fold piece in half, trace not worn side of tooth, cut on your tracing, fold piece open and hammer it flat and boom you have one whole tooth. now transfer that to a heavier piece of sheet metal, cut/grind and you have your template to grind to. you could likely make the template faster than it took me to write the directions. it's quick, accurate and fairly idiot proof, which is why i use it.

for building up the pinion i would use a machinable cast iron rod (addifix or similar), as you don't want the teeth to be so hard the chew up the driven gear. fastenal has a good selection of cast iron electrodes BUT they are not cheap (high $nickel$ content). last time i got them it was $15 for a 4 pack or 5/32" stick electrodes.

hope this helps
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBoogie For This Post:
Old 01-12-2009, 02:49:25 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,114 Times in 164 Posts

That is a very large ammount of power to go through a welded up pinon If I had to guess i would say that engine is going to do some plowing not just sit and smoke. I know a few guys in the barn in my yard that can help you with welding and gear problems. And one of the guys has lots of time around big Garr Scott doubles
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18:58 PM

Thanked 12,779 Times in 3,870 Posts

Hey Justin,

I bet KR knows how to spell "GAAR!"

Beth
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22:38 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaarScott View Post
On a similar note...I'm looking for a shop that can braze the broken half out of the 'A' arm support and weld in pieces to build up the teeth on the crank pinion. Anybody have suggestions for me for the Minnesota/Iowa area. I plan to contact Jim Briden and getting a quote from him. Anybody know of any others that can do the same work? Thanks.

Lawrence
Lawrence,
He's not in the MN/IA area, but Harold Stark did a BEAUTIFUL job building up some gear teeth that had been broken off of my differential ring gear on my 60 HP Case. I don't think anyone would have to twist his arm too hard to work on some parts of one of the last remaining Big 40 Gaar-Scott engines, either!!!!!! I would bet he'd like that.

As another thought, have you thought about trying to find some parts off of a 25 HP DRM? Most all of the parts will interchange, with the exception of the "engine proper". (Still can't bear myself to call it a "motor". ) Just a thought!

Mike
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 01-12-2009, 10:23:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,120 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McKnight View Post
Lawrence,
Most all of the parts will interchange, with the exception of the "engine proper". (Still can't bear myself to call it a "motor". ) Just a thought!
Mike
Mike,
I think Onkel G would say the same thing; Try it... It won't bite you!
Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 01-13-2009, 08:10:08 PM
Email Over Quota

Thanked 3,145 Times in 988 Posts

I missed your posting. Great project. Looking forward to see your restoration update.