Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

1925 Buick Standard Six Four Passenger Coupe

this thread has 46 replies and has been viewed 4880 times

Old 09-13-2017, 06:59:47 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: 1925 Buick Standard Six Four Passenger Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hamilton View Post
You should be able to find vacuum tank instructions on the web. The first thing it will say is that the problem almost certainly isn't the tank. First make certain all the lines including the one to the carb are clear and good luck. Do you have enough gas?
Everything has been thoroughly cleaned and new gaskets installed.There is not a lot of gas in the tank,just enough to move the gauge.New fuel lines were installed.Is it possible to get an air block in the line? We primed the vacuum tank and it runs until empty but doesn't refill.

---------- Post added at 06:59:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44:45 PM ----------

Thanks Andrew and John. There is not enough fuel in the tank to completely cover the pickup screen.I will add some more.We just reinstalled the tank today after having the 25 year old fuel cleaned out and new Red Cote sealer installed.The carb appears to have been completely rebuilt with a new venturi and excellent needles and seats.The engine is also a fresh (25 years ago) rebuild and is as clean as new inside.There is great vacuum to the top of the vacuum tank.I fully expected a few glitches after it's long sleep.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,632 Times in 2,950 Posts

I've worked on several Stewart vacuum tanks and, unless the pot metal was broken, I've gotten them to work.

If gasoline has sat in the tank for several years, the flapper valve in the top tank may be gummed-up. Take it apart and use carb cleaner to get all the crud out. Make new gaskets and carefully reassemble it, making sure it is air tight.

These will sometimes fail to draw gasoline if the engine is run at full throttle for extended periods. If this happens, just get off the throttle for a few seconds, allowing the internal tank to refill.

If the tank is in good condition, you can idle the engine for long periods. When the internal tank gets low, you will notice that the engine runs a little rough while vacuum is being used to refill it.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,625 Posts

That thing is Absolutely Beautiful !

Old 09-13-2017, 11:02:24 PM
Subscriber

Not sure what, if anything you have done with the vacuum tank but as other posts have suggested, try other things first. A hole in the fuel line from the tank will stop it so the suggestion of pressurizing the tank a little with the line off the tank is a good one. I take it you had the tank off so you would have had the suck tube out. It has to be good too of course. If the vacuum tank gasket isn't sealing , that would do it too. PM me if you get stuck. Lots of 20's Buick experience here.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:58:56 PM
Registered-I

I added a bit more fuel to the tank and topped up the vacuum tank (full).Also retightened the top screws.This time the vacuum tank refilled itself.Haven't road tested yet but it made 2 full laps of the yard and sat idling for a while.I noticed it running a little rough at fast idle for a minute or less.I presume this was when the tank was drawing vacuum.
Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldsoldster For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 02:45:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,941 Posts

Sounds like you have it!. The less height the vacuum pump has to lift (full tank of gas), the better it works. If the pick up in the gank gets even a whiff of air, the pump will not get enough gas. You might want to install a clear in line gas filter, to make sure the pump is operating and for keeping any loose crud out of the pumping mechanism. If possible, get one of the old glass bowl type filters that use the sintered bronze filter element (not paper). That way you can see gas and if there are any contaminants (like water or dirt) On my Kohler C, I actually had an inline sight glass from an old AC unit. it was in line with the pump inlet. You could actually see the pump cycle! If you have an AC shop nearby, you might ask if they have a used sight around. Otherwise, the glass filter assembly will work as well.
Andrew
Old 09-14-2017, 09:35:18 PM
Registered-I

I have a glass bowl on the bottom of the vacuum tank.It apparently was standard equipment on the 1926 Buick models.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:47:08 PM
Subscriber

The glass on the bottom of the tank -called a sediment bowl- was to take out any water and sediment that came through the tank. I think Andrews idea was to install one in the line to the tank so you could see what is happening, but it sounds like it is working. If the tank is clean you should be away. Happy touring.They are a great old car.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:27:16 PM
Registered-I

Tried my first road test today.The vacuum tank ran dry and I coasted to a stop.I brought along the necessary tools and fuel to refill it.It came home without incident and the tank refilled itself while idling in the driveway.Go figure.
Other than that it runs and drives very nicely.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsoldster For This Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 10:47:59 PM
Subscriber

hmmm. Have you had the tank apart? is it clean and properly sealed?