Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Is it a 20AB3 Delco-Light Plant

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1994 times

Old 02-04-2017, 08:59:28 AM
Subscriber

Default Is it a 20AB3 Delco-Light Plant

I can't find any identification on this. Where should I look? By photo, it looks like a 20AB3. I've had this since 2004 but finally decided that I'll never get time and money for it's restoration. So it's time to find a new owner.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:38:02 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Is it a 20AB3

By any chance is that 110 volt D.C.? There's one sitting in an auto repair place near here that the owner bought years ago for standby..........until he discovered it made the "wrong kind of juice".

Edit: Whoops! Should have looked up the model number first.....a 32 volt, 2000 watt plant. Looks like the only things missing are the oil fill cap and the control box. Nice find actually.....you NEED that in your stable!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:00:57 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Is it a 20AB3 Delco-Light Plant

Thanks George, but I've reached a point in my life where I have more projects than I have time. My passion is antique radios. I have a strong interest in antique cars, engines and stuff like that. I also have a Delco 850 that I need to decide whether to keep or not. Plus some other 32 volt items like a fan or two, some NOS 32 volt GE light bulbs and some 32 volt radios. If I were to list this generator set, what would be a reasonable value? It does turn over (not frozen) but would need some significant care.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:16:34 AM
Registered-III

Tough question to answer.....it is missing the control box, right? Without that it won't run properly (or at all) so the only solution for a prospective buyer is to find another box. Or make one, a major effort.

By the way, many Delcos had the voltage stamped on the armature so it could be identified that way.....assuming it's stamped. But of course you have to disassemble the thing to find out!

I read the brief description of the unit and it said that many of the engines were "re-purposed' and because of that you'll find many without the generator. There may be someone out there who needs it for parts of course.

Although Delcos are getting some interest, there's just not a big demand for them among collectors. They're common, heavy to ship and don't have all the "whizz bangs" of a stationary engine. Frankly, I don't think I'd ask more than $200 or so....and then be willing to negotiate a bit. After all, collecting Delcos is a somewhat "specialized" hobby practiced by genuine mental cases!

That's my advice, and it's worth every penny you paid for it!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:25:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanks again, have a great day!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:41:17 AM
Registered-I

Man, I'd love to fiddle with that but like you said where on earth would a guy come up with a control box...... :-/