Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

kohler light plant

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 6966 times

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2000, 09:15:26 PM
Lawrence Musgrave

Default kohler light plant

Light plant fires a few times when hand cranking then floods out plugs are wet with gas ,kohler manual calls for champion #8 plug champion d23s are in engine are plugs installed ok? also if higher octane gas was used any benefit ? any 1500w 4cyl kohler plt owners listening out there ? thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2000, 11:46:47 PM
Rick Taylor

Default Re: kohler light plant

Hello, I don't know much about Kohler engines specifically but if I had an engine with the characteristics you described, I would first make sure the fuel was fresh and not from last year. If that was OK I would then check the ignition systems strength by first closing the gap of the plugs to about .025. If that helps I would then replace the condenser. Hope this helps. Talk to you later, Rick.

Rick's Antique Engines
Old 04-23-2000, 12:55:11 AM
Orrin Iseminger

Is your carburetor needle valve closing off? I had a similar problem and discovered the filter screen on the gas line had come unsoldered. This allowed crud to get into the needle valve and I'd get excess gasoline. After fixing the screen everything's great. It generally starts on the first or second pull of the crank.

My Kohler engine seems to be prone to flooding. I generally don't have to choke it until after it fires. Even then, it requires only a slight amount of choking for only ten or fifteen seconds.
Old 04-23-2000, 03:08:11 PM
Bill Garman

Lawrence: You don't have to crank the light plant by hand. Any Kohler 1500 watt unit, either A.C. or D.C. will crank itself even without an automatic start controll. Just put 12volt across the + and - brushes at the comutator.
Old 04-23-2000, 08:14:27 PM
Lawrence Musgrave

thanks to Rick,Orrin&Bill on kohler engine starting problems, spark appears to be pretty hot but I am allso leaning on replacing condenser ,would a generic 12v auto type in a mag. be fine or not and also I may be over choking this is my first kohler engine carb needle valve hint I will look into and Bill, on putting 12v across + and- comutator brush I do have a 1500w dc ,I presume bat + to brush + etc and Bill You are sure no melt down right?? thanks
Old 04-23-2000, 08:42:27 PM
Will Cummings

Lawrence,

I had a different problem with my Kohler 1500W. Mine has a fixed jet carburetor ( no needle valves to adjust! ). My problem was exactly the opposite, it wouldn't start and run unless the choke was held on continuosly. Obviously it didn't run too well! I came to find out that someone in the past had reversed the jets. After I corrected this, it ran fine.

If you also have a fixed jet carburetor, you might try checking these screw-in jets. Mine were stamped "9" and "14", indicating their size. The longer one extends up into the carburetor venturi.

Good luck!

Will Cummings
Old 04-23-2000, 09:36:50 PM
Lawrence Musgrave

hello Will yes my gen. also has a fixed jet carb I will definitly look in to that also but choking my gen. really seems to flood the engine real quik.thanks for help!! Lawrence M
Old 04-24-2000, 01:36:19 AM
Orrin Iseminger

My starting routine generally doesn't use the choke until after the engine has fired, then, only sparingly--just enough to keep the engine running.

If the engine fires and fails to start, I may choke for one half-turn of the crank, and no more. It's very easy to flood. When flooded, I generally spin the crank a half-dozen revs to clear the excess gasoline.

I have auto-start, but elect to hand crank. That's half the fun of the engine. Besides, with close to ten rigs with batteries to maintain, I don't want one more that goes dead from lack of use.
Old 04-24-2000, 06:32:02 AM
Rick Taylor

Lawrence, I would opt for a condenser that is used in a another magneto before I would try the 12V condenser. I don't know the primary voltage of a magneto system, but I would think it would come closer to matching. I adapted a Tecumseh tiller engine condenser under the flywheel of my Model 72 Maytag and its still firing HOT. Good Luck. Later, Rick.

Rick's Antique Engines
Old 04-24-2000, 10:39:09 AM
Lawrence Musgrave

yes that would be a point well taken on trying to at least stay with mag type condensers ,I'm going to see if napa parts might have akind of universal condenser of sorts right now instant gratification you know!!! thanks from Lawrence M
Old 04-24-2000, 10:48:28 AM
Lawrence Musgrave

I get that these outfits are a little touchy abt th e proper amts of gas thay need to operate on! Ok I did a comppresson ck ranges from 45up to 90 not something to crow abt but perhaps runable ??? thanks L. M
Old 04-25-2000, 01:01:52 AM
Bill Garman

Lawrence: I was wrong! I just checked my literature, and found that it is 24volt instead of 12volt. Model "D" is 1500 watt automatic start, model "E" is 1500 watt manual start. Model "K" is 2000 watt automatic, model"L" is 2000 watt manual. Model "S" is 800 watt automatic, model "T" is 800 watt manual. All of these units are D.C., all automatics use 24 volt to start. The only wiring differance is weather or not they have an automatic controll box. I personally have 3 of the 2 cylinder model "S" units that work great on 24 volt start. Send serial# and I will try to date it.
Old 04-25-2000, 08:52:31 PM
Lawrence Musgrave

Bill, plant# is 60169 mod e 110dc 1000rpm ,so you say 24v and still b+ to brush+ and b- to brush- I also put a new condenser briggs mag type ,, spark appears much more potent now all so .. thanks for help!! I think its almost time to try it again....
Old 04-25-2000, 09:46:06 PM
Bill Garman

Laurence: your unit appears to have been made in 1943. Production ended for this model in 1948. When starting with battery, be sure to disconect as soon as unit starts so it doesn't try to cram 110 volts into the battery.
Old 04-25-2000, 10:30:32 PM
Lawrence Musgrave

ok good deal!! you have been very helpful ,,yes 110v might get the electrons amite agitated in the batterys see you all later.
Closed Thread