Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

What Some People Will Do For A Dollar...

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2930 times

Old 04-14-2012, 09:37:47 AM
Registered-II

Default What Some People Will Do For A Dollar...

OK so i was looking to find a old dump cart to haul a few loads of dirt around the yard with my tractor. Nothing fancy or expensive as i wouldnt need it much so i ran a want ad in our paper. Got a couple of bites but were too expensive for what i wanted.

Then this older guy calls and said he had an old one in rough shape that would only bring about 5 bucks or so at the scrapyard and if i would give him 5 i could have it. I figured it was worth the 5.00 in any condition so after he described the cart i said it would work for me and would take it.

So i arrange to make the 20 mile one way trip to get the trailer. As i get close its a nice neighborhood and you can tell from the guys home etc. that he doesnt "need" the money. Well we go out to a nice shed with a concrete floor and find the trailer. Its pretty ruff but useable and i notice a paper with figures written on it laying in the bed. He picks up the paper and informs me that he took the wagon to the scrapper and had it weighed and was told it would bring about 12.00 so he couldnt sell it for the 5 we agreed on.

Now i may not be too smart but i do have common sense. He had to load the wagon and drive at least 15 miles to the nearest scrapyard Figure the time and gas AND if i didnt give him the 5 bucks he would have to do that all over again for a 7.00 profit. Long story short i told him heres 10 bucks take it or leave it as i was pretty peeved about the whole deal. The trailer is ok for what i need and will work fine. He really didnt want to take my offer but he did. I feel like i should have let him hold it after the way he did. I have never been one to bait and switch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wheelhorseman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 10:00:54 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: What Some People Will Do For A Dollar....

That is a pretty rotten trick he played on you. He should have at least called you before you made the trek. I think he was lying about how much the scrapper woulda paid. I took in a 1/4 ton today and got $55 - $220 a ton or 11cents a pound. Assuming it weighs 50 lbs, He'da got $5.50.

Still, It doesn't look to bad from the pics and $10 is still an alright deal.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,732 Posts

I think he was lying too, but you still did ok on the deal.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 04-16-2012, 12:01:50 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
I think he was lying too, but you still did ok on the deal.
I dont think he was lying about having it "appraised". If theres one thing ive learned in life there are some crazy people out there.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,241 Times in 648 Posts
Default Re: What Some People Will Do For A Dollar...

1. If he told me one price over the phone and I drove 20 miles one way to go get it only to have him change his price after I would have told him to shove that cart so far up his backside he woulda choked on the trailer tongue then left.

2. You prob burned $40.00 in gas plus the $10.00 so it wasnt a bargain, rather going rate or top dollar depending on geographic location.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26:02 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
1. If he told me one price over the phone and I drove 20 miles one way to go get it only to have him change his price after I would have told him to shove that cart so far up his backside he woulda choked on the trailer tongue then left.

2. You prob burned $40.00 in gas plus the $10.00 so it wasnt a bargain, rather going rate or top dollar depending on geographic location.
It wasnt out of my way considering the wife needed to go by the grocery store 1/2 mile from his house. I know what he did was wrong but even for 10.00 it was worth it and for only a few bucks it wasnt worth an arguement. I just handed him a ten and drove off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhorseman For This Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23:35 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhorseman View Post
It wasnt out of my way considering the wife needed to go by the grocery store 1/2 mile from his house. I know what he did was wrong but even for 10.00 it was worth it and for only a few bucks it wasnt worth an arguement. I just handed him a ten and drove off.
I applaud you in your ability to make lemonade out of a lemon-like situation. You got a good trailer for a good price. You gave him 5 honest bucks and he can choke on his 5 dishonest bucks.

Motormowers - what do you drive that costs $40 to drive 40 miles?!? My 15 mpg truck would only cost me $10.66.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26:59 PM
Registered-III

Call me obstinate; there are some people I just won't "do business" with and he would have been one of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolbender For This Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,238 Times in 1,654 Posts

Imagine, if you would, seeing that trailer out by the road with a sign on it saying "For Sale - $12"
Would you stop & buy it?
Whether or not the seller is slightly less than honorable, you still got what you wanted at a good price.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48:45 PM
Registered-II

"slightly less than honorable" interesting perspective.