Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Delco-light

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1472 times

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26:48 AM
Registered-I

Default Delco-light

Hi

At our museum, (In southern Alberta) where I volunteer we have just started to restore a Delco 850 watt 32 volt unit. It runs really well now with one exception; the shunt holding coil on the main switch. The winding is open circuit. Does any one know of a source for these coils? If not perhaps someone has rewound one and may know some details of the winding. I have measured the wire and it is 0.005'' and appears to be in at least five layers with paper between each layer. I would like to know the resistance of the coil so we can either attempt a rewind ourselves or get it done at a rewind shop.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30:37 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Delco-light

I believe you will want to count turns as it is disassembled. Seems likely that for a one-off like this, someone could take on that project and make a success of it as opposed to hiring it out.

Might even find the fault at the beginning of the winding.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Delco-light

These series field shorting/starting switches are fairly common on e-bay and other places. The 2 coils are wound in opposite directions, when the switch is held up to crank the current through each coil goes in opposite directions so they oppose or buck eachother. When engine starts and comes up to speed current comes out the postive brushes then the coils work together to hold the ignition flipper switch up. Then the series field is shorted and the motor becomes a generator. Also lots of information on the web on delco light stuff.

Good Luck
Pat