Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco-Light experts needed, piston question

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2168 times

Old 05-06-2013, 10:01:52 AM
Registered

Default Delco-Light experts needed, piston question

Having fun cleaning up this Delco-Light plant Model 752 with copper fins and zenith carburetor - I think every port was plugged up.

I have gotten some good help from Elden and he suggested I post here so I got the cylinder jug off and the piston out in an effort to get it all cleaned out.

The question is - What holds the wrist pin in the piston so that it wont drift to the side and score the cylinder? I was able to easily tap out the wrist pin and clean it all up. After reassembly with a few drops of oil, it glides smoothly back and forth inside the piston. On one side of the pin there is a slot to receive a small stop pin inside the piston bore, but the slot is long enough so that I can push the wrist pin out the piston. As for the other side, there's nothing to stop it from coming out.

Elden was saying some pistons have a bolt on the wrist pin, or snap rings, or end plugs but I don't see any of those. I think if I reassemble it like this it will be a short time before the cylinder wall gets scored.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010536SM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	164618   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010538SM.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	164619   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010543SM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	164620  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27:11 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Delco-Light experts needed, piston question

That is a factory full floating wrist pin. A few Delco model used them. The buttons on the end are aluminum so as not to score the cylinder. I have a Delco 8c3 that has been using that setup since new in 1930, not a mark on the cylinder wall.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07:37 PM
Registered

THANK YOU!! Mr. Brown, that is really good news. The reassembly was on hold until I found the answer. Any your right, the cylinder has no marks on it.

If I may put forth another question: When I pulled the piston off of the crankshaft, it came out with only one shim one one side. I looked down in the crankcase (which still has a bit of sludge in it) for the other shim (thinking I dropped it) but never found one. I always thought these shims were installed in pairs but is it possible or OK to use only one shim?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010542SM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	164647  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:12:19 PM
Registered-I

As far as the shims go, always keep them equal and even so as not to bind the rod cap. On an NOS rod the shim packs are 1/16 of an inch thick made out of brass shim stock laminated together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drod-s.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	164652  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:53:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info!
Then hopefully the other shim fell down in the crankcase when I pulled it out and its still in there. I'll find out in the next few days.

Is it ok to use a Model A Ford spark plug, Champion 3X? The spark plug that came with it was broken off at the porcelain, but I noticed a 3X fit.

Among the various cleaning I found the lifters to be thoroughly stuck, but several minutes with PB Blaster and working them up and down got them free.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:44:37 AM
Registered-I

A Champion 3X should be fine. The plug that came with these where AC type C or AC 76s if your a stickler for originality.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:49:16 PM
Registered

I found the other shim!
It was hiding under the oil level float.
Of course the layer of black oil and junk on the bottom helped it be invisible too.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02:23 PM
Registered

I found another chunk in the bottom of the crankcase.. the piece of the rod that came from right here, top of the rod bearing, see pic.

How bad is this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010541SM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	164909  
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52:05 PM
Registered-II

Know nothing of the Delco in particular but do know a little something of engines. That rod journal does look beat up, would also like to see crank journal. Not sure what the original specs were but am confident what you have is not close and would rap or quickly wear out.

You might want to mic up components and checking with plastigage for fitness suitability. I would not feel comfortable using a rod that is already busted up like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Brown View Post
That is a factory full floating wrist pin. A few Delco model used them. The buttons on the end are aluminum so as not to score the cylinder. I have a Delco 8c3 that has been using that setup since new in 1930, not a mark on the cylinder wall.
Interesting. So for whatever reason back in the day the boss in piston and slot in pin was to keep the pin from spinning within the rod and piston I presume.