Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco Help

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1630 times

Old 10-20-2002, 09:10:06 PM
Registered

Default Delco Help

Hello~

I just purchased 2 delco engines and am about to get a third. I have posted 2 pics of what I have so far. Any ideas on what model/year these are?

First pic is of the smaller one and the link is the larger one. The flywheel on the smaller is 11"x3" and the larger is 16"x4"

Larger serial number is: 40797 and smaller Delco serial # is: T2054 ANY help would be appreciated!

Pic of larger Delco
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2002, 05:10:00 PM
Tony

Default Re: Delco Help

Hello Keith

The larger engine looks like a Delco 850. The coupling on the crank shaft looks like it was designed or adapted to drive something other than a generator. The shaft on a Delcolight 850 generator is about 8 inches long to support the armature.

Tony
Old 10-21-2002, 10:58:36 PM
Don C. Wiley

Keith;

The smaller one started out as a Model-600 and the larger one started out as a Model-850, I think?

Both have been "violated" rather badly.

I have never seen either of these models without a generator on them. The Model-600, it appears, has had the generator field housing removed as well as the armature and a pulley replacing the armature. A picture from the generator end and the other side would also be helpfull in "nailing" the model down. The mixer on the Model-600 is considerably different than the Model-850 but both sit on top of the breather tube from the crankcase and form the intake manafold as well as the mixer.

The (Model-850?) has had the cylinder air shroud "hacked" on, the air cap is also missing and the air tube from the breather is a way too short to reach the intake. They will run OK with out the air cap in place.

These mixers were designed to run the engines at around 1250 to 1300 RPM with the charge load on them. If you don't have a load attached they will tend to run a bit too fast and they DO TEND to jump around some. They also sound like they are going to come "unglued", so if you intend to run them as they are it might be advisable to prepare to load them some how.

I don't see either mixer, I presume you have them? They both used a coil with a 32 volt voltage droping resistor on them. You can fix up a car coil to provide the spark but you will have to have a battery to run the coil. You will also have to have a crank of some kind because they were started with the generator as a electric starter.

Good luck and if you have any further questions please feel free to get in touch with me.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 10-22-2002, 08:52:30 AM
Steve Wright

My information shows the smaller plant to be the 600 watt one with the "T" in the serial number. #T100 was built July 1st of 1920 and #T4400 was January 1st, 1921, so that should make yours made in the fall of 1920. The large one with the serial number 40797 shows it built between Jan 1st and July 1st of 1918. This is from a bulletin, dated 7-15-36 sent to dealers from Delco-Light. As far as someone cutting the generator off, I had an old fellow tell me how when he was a kid they took a Delco plant and modified it to run a motor scooter. Boy you would need good tires on it. Ha Steve
Old 10-22-2002, 12:37:29 PM
Registered

Thanks Don & Steve~

You guys really helped alot. Delcos are new to me and I want to learn as much as I can. I will probably have more questions.

~Keith
Old 10-23-2002, 09:01:32 PM
shermwolf

Default Re: Delco Help *NM*

Old 10-27-2002, 03:35:59 AM
Russ Hughes

That was a pretty neutral statement there Shermwolf.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:36:31 PM
shermwolf

Russ, I dont'nt know what happened to the post. I seem to be having a little problem with the board since the posting procedure was revised. Anyhow my post was supposed to advise Kieth not to spend much time or money on those two Delcos he picked up since no matter how much time or money he spends, they never will be a Delco light plant.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:47:03 PM
Don C. Wiley

Sherm;

My brother-in-law has a Delco-Light Model-1278 with a governor and a fuel pump as well as a flywheel magneto that was factory built with a step pulley where the armature would normally be. I don't think that the Model-850 that Keith has was a factory alteration however.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:28:57 PM
shermwolf

"Live and learn " as my dad used to say.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:03:01 AM
Don C. Wiley

I have a listing of most of the models Delco-Light made and it shows 80 different model numbers but it doesn't list the power unit.

Some of those different model numbers used the same engine and made small changes like a governor or just a change in the control panel.

The Model-600 and Model-625 had the same engine but the Model-600 used a fixed jet in the intake and used the 32 volt battery as a governor and the Model-625 had a flyball governor with a butterfly in the intake.

That's just one example there are many more.