Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Delco Light Question

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1893 times

Old 11-02-2004, 08:52:45 PM
Rob Leonard

Default Delco Light Question

Hello, I have a few questions about this 32v Delco. 1: Do I have to run this on 2 12v & 1 8v batteries two make 32v or is there a alternative? I understand that it is governed by the load on it so what are my options to run with it, only 32v motors, applances? I would like to try and get this running without spending a load on batteries and searching for something that is 32v so any suggestions would be great. Also the distributor? that hold the points is loose, any chance of getting to the bolt that holds it without pulling the flywheel? Thanks Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2004, 09:18:16 AM
Steve Wright

Default Re: Delco Light Question

I ran my Delcos on 3 12volt batteries and it worked ok. The Delco will put out 38 volts or better and will charge your 36 volt setup. The newer ones that have auto start and shutdown won't work correctly with the 36 volt so I broke down and bought an 8 volt battery and they work great. I used old 12 volt car batteries that had some life left in them. When the batteries are charged up the cutout will shut it down. The charging of the batteries is your load for governing the engine. If you want some load to run the batteries down and demonstrate it so you can run the engine again, you can buy 32 volt bulbs new (awfull pricey) or hook 3 12 volt bulbs or headlights in series. Also 120 volt bulbs will glow pretty good. Also a 120 volt electric heater that has no fan motor will provide you some load. Have fun showing it as a lot of people are still around that can remember them in use and will tip you off on where there might be an old washing machine motor or other appliance. I got most of my leads on old appliances by taking my Delco plants to shows. Steve in Nebraska

Old 11-03-2004, 10:04:59 AM
Kent Redd

I think using four 8 volt battery from the same manufacture would be the best because you would know that the internal resistance of the batterys would be nearly equal. This means the batterys will charge equally and would share any load applied equally.

Kent
Old 11-03-2004, 10:36:20 PM
George Andreasen

I agree with Kent....8 volt batteries are NOT expensive and still available. They are used to upgrade a 6 volt system for faster cranking, but the 6 volt generator still charges them. Shop around. If you mention that you need a total of four, you just might get a bit of a discount too! The trick of using three 12 volt bulbs will work and Walmart has them in the RV section...VERY reasonably priced.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:07:44 AM
edurand

If you have a way to adjust the output of the Delco to a specific full-charge voltage, 32 Volts worth of lead-acid batteries (4 matched 8-Volt) should ideally be charged to around 37 Volts. Less than that and you may get sulfating and a loss of capacity. More than that and you will probably have to add water frequently.

Last time I bought an 8-Volt battery, I got one off the shelf at Tractor Supply Company (TSC).

Take care - Elden

Elden's Junky Web Page
Old 11-04-2004, 11:25:12 PM
Robert E. Smith

WoW! Steve that is one NICE SET UP! Most impressive! I've got one 850 I'm mounting on a trailer, Hope mine turn's out as nice! Bob Smith Ohio
Old 11-05-2004, 07:44:09 PM
Rob Leonard

Hey Guys, Thanks for the tips. I am looking forward to bringing this one back to life, have not seen any Delco's at the shows here in MI. Rob
Old 11-05-2004, 08:22:30 PM
Robert E. Smith

It's the same around here! Don't see any Delco's at any of the shows around the Southwestern Ohio area! Even Carrolon Park in Dayton Ohio that has all kinds Of Mr. Ketterings Invention's on display only has one model 650 on display and it's not even restored! And a very small article about what it is and what they were used for! Even on this board they seem to think less of them(Delco's)than the other types and say there not worth much because there so common! Don't seem to be that common around here! I really like them myself! I guess in a way it's a good thing! keeps the prices down so we can afford them! Bob
Old 11-06-2004, 08:47:45 AM
generatorgus

Might as well add my 2 cents. I use three $20 lawn mower batteries. They are cheap and compact and they do the job well, plus they are easy to move around. Biggest problem is some of the automatic plants will shut down because the batteries are usually fully charged, which can be cured by running a load, IE: lights or appliances. I keep mine in a black wooden box that I made to look like a big battery. You wouldn't believe how many people ask where I got a battery that big.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:18:21 PM
Don C. Wiley

Steve;

That's a nice display, but what do you do when one of those pesky thunderstorms drops by?

In case you folks were wandering why I wasn't adding my penny's worth, I just got back from a vacation of two weeks in a hospital. SOME vactaion!. I'm still not 100%, but I can sit up to the computer and type.

Rob; All the advice you have recieved here sounds good to me. Don't worry about batteries they are a lot cheaper than a Domestic side shaft.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois