Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Tatro 32 & 6 volt radio

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1285 times

Old 06-27-2017, 11:32:13 AM
Subscriber

Exclamation Tatro 32 & 6 volt radio

here's another item to check out on ebay; Tatro radio

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-TATR...cAAOSwSzRZUnK4

I looked at this radio again trying to determine what model it could be. I am perplexed about what I see, as it appears to be using 1.5 volt filament tubes and has no vibrator nor rectifier. I can't believe that it has 6 volts used for plate voltage so it must be 32 volts. But it doesn't have a power cord like most 32 volt radios. I believe that the seller listed it as 6 and 32 volt because of the paper label inside the cabinet, which I think is misleading. I believe that the paper label is trying to say that Tatro makes 6 and 32 volt radios. Not that this is a dual voltage radio. If one of our fellow smoke-stackers gets it, I'd be willing to help with restoration to an operable radio. You can always send me a private message. Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Craft; 06-27-2017 at 02:13:35 PM. Reason: additional info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Craft For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2017, 04:48:24 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Tatro 32 & 6 volt radio

Dennis, How do you know for sure that the tubes are 1.5 volts? I didn't see anything in the ad to indicate that, but I agree that the label inside is more of an advertisement than identifier. I tried to make out the pencil scrawl across the back also, but no luck.

I'd suspect it's a 6 volt radio (filaments) and I notice there's a "hole" in the chassis.......a missing part. Now, vibrators date from the late thirties I believe and the general architecture of the cabinet suggests that time period, so it might have had a "can" style vibrator?

Of course, the other option would be a regular, battery farm radio with 45 volts of B battery. I wonder if the seller would be willing to pull a couple of tubes for identification? Or perhaps there's a model number stamped on the chassis that he didn't see?

Edit: On closer examination, one of those tubes DOES look like a UV or UX 199.........1.5 volt battery tube. Now I'm confused too!
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:10:51 PM
Subscriber

My take on this would be that the label is advertising that the company sells BOTH 6 volt AND 32 volt sets. 6 volt sets for the folks who run their radio on regular battery power, and 32 volt sets for those who have a 32 volt home lighting system. That's my opinion.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37:12 PM
Subscriber

The envelope of the tubes is tubular. For this vintage (1930's), the only tubes with cylindrical sides were tubes like 1A4, 1B5, 1C6, and 1F4. These tubes were also made with the ST (shouldered) envelope later. Tatro used these tubes in their model EN-64, but this is not that model. This link will take you to radiomuseum.org page for the EN-64;

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ltatro_en6_4.html

This link is for a Tatro chassis on eBay. Notice the synchronous vibrator and transformer towards the rear of the chassis;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-L-TA...EAAOSw-0xYevyT

I believe that Tatro made more sets than what have service info published.

I offered to assist the buyer in electronic restoration because we might not be able to find any schematic for it. So my experience would help a lot. I would like to have it but I have way too many radios now.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:17:03 PM
Subscriber

Okay, here's another Tatro radio. The seller doesn't know what they have and think it's a GE or something based on the patent information. However, this is a 6 volt DC set, maybe powered from a car battery or a 6 volt genset.

The Mallory vibrator is a synchronous type for 6 volts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930...UAAOSwd3dZZ7oh

Happy hunting,
Dennis