Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Gray hit miss engine web site new and improved / wanted all gray hit miss information

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1248 times

Old 12-10-2018, 11:05:57 AM
Subscriber

Default Gray hit miss engine web site new and improved / wanted all gray hit miss information

Below is a link to the new Gray website. I'm working on it trying to finish getting the old files up from the original site made by Tom Greene, but I'm looking for new things as well to put up. I know there's been a few Literature items I've seen sold that I would like to have copies of to put up. Even if you have something that is already up on the site please send it anyway.

Also I've gotten the serial number list completed for the most part. I'm looking for a few serial numbers yet to help put engines in place. If you don't see your name or engine serial number We'd love to have it on here. Every little thing helps with completing the information.

This site is for everyone's benefit not just mine, If it was I wouldn't put this much time or effort into it. Take a look at the site let me know what you think good, bad, or what ever.

Thank you,
Matthew Oldenburg

https://sites.google.com/view/grayst...rmengines/home
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to oldiesteam For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2019, 02:05:07 AM
Registered

Default Re: Gray hit miss engine web site new and improved / wanted all gray hit miss informa

Hi Matt;

Here are some pix of a Caille Perfection engine. I don't know if there was a connection between this company and Gray,T&M, but this engine looks almost exactly like the 1 1/4 H P Gray except that all the dimensions are just a little bit bigger then the Gray. Notice the bolt on flywheels held on with one large nut. There is a place on the front of the engine for a tag but it was missing when I got it. If I can find the time this spring I will restore the Caille along with a 1 1/4 Gray and a 1 1/4 T&M that I have and mount all three on a singlr cart. There is a short video of a 1 1/2 H P Caille on YouTube but it is very blurry and so hard to make out any details.

Iron Wolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00010.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	327126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00015.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	327127   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	327128   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00019.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	327129  

Last edited by Daniel Dorece; 01-26-2019 at 02:26:04 AM. Reason: added info
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Dorece For This Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Gray hit miss engine web site new and improved / wanted all gray hit miss informa

Thanks for the reply. The callie does look close but I think their dimensions are closer to that of the 1.5hp woodpecker engines. Kind of a cross breed. If you get time I'd like to add your engines too the registry. Serial number should be on the top lip of the heads.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldiesteam For This Post:
Old 01-26-2019, 03:59:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,252 Times in 355 Posts

Thanks for the link to the site. It is a very good site with good information there..
There are some in NZ and I think I can recall seeing about three in all the years I have been collecting I do have a number of one and from I recall it was a biggish engine possibly 6hp. Sn 1005 This was about thirty years ago. Another was a small engine possibly 1hp I don't have the number but it was at a crankup at my place a few years ago. I cant remember who owned but I will follow it up.

I have just checked out your serial numbers and you do have 1005 and listed as a 9hp so my memory wasn't too bad.

Merv
The Following User Says Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 05:14:21 PM
Subscriber

Still looking for info info if any one wants to share any literature
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01:31 AM
Registered

Nice site, thanks for setting it up, and the link to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danny McCloskey For This Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 12:19:20 PM
Registered

I have a 4hp gray and a 4hp marine engine as well but I'm not sure where to locate serial number?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle McGee For This Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 12:29:50 PM
Registered

I see in you serial number list that you have the 12hp belonging to marc Arnold, he sold this engine in 2009-2010 if I remember correctly and I think it went to Quebec
Old 10-09-2019, 09:57:10 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McGee View Post
I have a 4hp gray and a 4hp marine engine as well but I'm not sure where to locate serial number?
The serial number will be on the top of the lip of the head where it meets the block.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:59:10 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McGee View Post
I see in you serial number list that you have the 12hp belonging to marc Arnold, he sold this engine in 2009-2010 if I remember correctly and I think it went to Quebec
Interesting, be nice to know for sure. Like everything the information is only as good as the information given. Marc Arnold was the last known owner. Any updates would be great
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36:40 PM
Registered

I will check my gray tomorrow and see if I can come up with something, will look at the marine and see if I see anything, next time I talk to Marc I’ll see if he remembers who bought it off him and where for sure it went