Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco Light Plant Literature

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 6630 times

Old 01-29-2011, 02:21:09 PM
Registered

Default Delco Light Plant Literature

My grandfather was a Delco Light Plant dealer, and I have a large book filled with the service manuals, parts lists, etc. for basically everything that they made/sold.

Is this stuff already available online, i.e. pdf, or are they old light plants so rare and unused that they do not care about this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18:22 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Delco Light Plant Literature

I'm sure the Delco nuts would be pleased if someone were to scan and convert to pdf. It is difficult to find information on a lot of old equipment, much of which can be invaluable to a restoration. I've scanned a few manuals that I have access to, its time consuming but rewarding knowing you can help someone needing information. Lloyd H
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd H For This Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 09:53:03 PM
Registered

I do find stuff here and there but I am always interested in seeing more lit. I am a delco collector and display them at shows. It is nice to display literature with my delcos so people can understand what they were used for. I would love to see what you have or maybe get a copy of them.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:06:52 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Delco Light Plant Literature

No they are not rare or unused. I have 11 at last count give on average 60.00. Gave my Son A 12vdc little joe he uses every wk. or 2 to start tractor's or equipment. We use real gasoline( no Alkey.)..........Steve
Old 01-29-2011, 11:39:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do to get it scanned, photoed, etc.

The manuals are all in a large leather bound book. I thought it was an old family bible when I first saw it.

Of course it might have been as important as the family bible at times.

I was surprised not to find much online about the Delco light plants. A few pages here and there, this place looks like the leading source for sure.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:38:45 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Delco Light Plant Literature

Check in with 'Delco Don', here on the Stak. He is very knowledgable on things delco!
Andrew
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12:45 PM
Registered

I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of this lterature. I am preparing a show display consisting of the generator, original batteries, lights, celing fan, radio, and water pump, all Delco and all operating. Will exibit at several Arkansas shows. Also looking for additional appliances.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38:39 PM
Registered

radio collector, that sounds like a great display that you have. Please let me know about these upcoming shows. I am in Little Rock every other week for work.
The literature will most likely be the first thing that I tackle of my grandfather's "collection".
Old 01-30-2011, 04:52:47 PM
In Memory Of

I have a pretty good supply of original literature on the Delco-Light generators, but mine all stops at1934, so I could use some copies from 1934 on.

Could you e-mail me some information on what you have from 1934 on. Thank you very much!

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 01-30-2011, 09:40:42 PM
Registered

I would assume that since my grandfather purchased the Delco business in 48 or 49, that the literature was closer to that time frame, but I am not certain, I have not studied it closely.

It could have been accumulated by the original owner of the business.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:42:51 PM
Registered

Last year I displayed at the following shows, Brinkley,Sheridan, Scott, and Morrilton. I do not have dates for them at this time, Brinkley should be in early May hosted by Lonie Caudel, Seridan is on the town square sponsored by Antique machinery collectors club, Scott is held at the agricultral mueseum operated by Arkansas Parks And Tourism Dept. Morrilton was small and is in the process of relocaring. There are two or more additional shows that I have not recently attended.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18:29 PM
Registered

And here is another Delco-Light man that is interested in anything Delco.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17:39 PM
Registered

I have not had a chance to get to the house in a week because of the weather. I wish I had brought that book home with me last time. Three days in the house would have gone a long way towards scanning or photos to identify what needed to be scanned.
Next week I hope.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23:46 PM
Registered

Radio Collector Man,
You mentioned looking for 32V appliances. I have 32V 1/2" electric drill in excellent working condition that I maybe willing to part with. Drop me a line <cgandree@aol.com>
Curt
Old 02-20-2011, 11:43:46 AM
Registered

Curt Andree
I failed to mention that I am only interested in Delco brand 32 volt Appliances, If your drill is Delco I would be interested.
Tom
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27:26 PM
Registered

Well, I finally had a chance to rummage through the house/garage again the other day. I brought the "Book" home with me. The literature is mostly dated "34", but I have one section that is dated in "35", the section on Water Systems.

The book contains tabs that read Engine-Generators; Delco-Light Batteries; Delco Pumps; Delcogas; Home Radio; Delco Fans; Vacuum Cleaners; and Misc.

The largest section is the Engine-Generators section. It appears that it has service information and parts lists for each of the different engines that Delco sold. Each of the other tabs are filled with sheets that say "Direct Mail advertising" along the side, and price lists for everything.

Don, does this sound like the literature that you already have?

I found a few of the 34v bulbs in the garage. Not sure how many, I could not really get to them. I need to clean out a lot of stuff first.

I found maybe a dozen Delco control boxes, and a pile of switches, outlets, and light sockets that I think are Delco, but am not sure yet.

Also, I'm not real sure about the generators in the garage being Delco. I'll get the garage cleaned out, and look at them in the light of day.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:59:54 PM
In Memory Of

Gramps;

That sounds like the "stuff" that I have. Delco-Light quit manufacturing new units in 1947. REA had pretty much done them in. My "stuff" needs to be put in one place and sorted and organized by date etc. I'm too much into answering questions and e-mails from Stakrs.

"DELCO DON"Southern Illinois
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52:53 PM
Registered

Thanks Don. We appricate you answering questions for us.

Found another book in the garage as well as a handful of other smaller book/catalogs.

Also finally got a look at the units. Did not write down the model numbers, or snap any pictures yet, but two of them a large Kohler units. One in decent condition (for sitting in a leaky roofed garage for 40 years), and the other has the heads removed, sitting on the shelf, rusty and under a pile of junk. The two units might have enough to put one back together, not sure.

Also found one of the little 850s. It is rough.

I'll get pictures soon.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54:40 AM
Registered

I am trying to restore a Delco 850 Light Plant. I have one complete unit and 3 more for parts. Are the service manuals in the book you found? A copy of the service manual would be a big help.
When I took the head off I was surprised to find that the piston at TDC came above the top of the cylinder bore. Actually the first ring comes about ˝ way out of the bore. Plenty of room in the head, but still seems odd. One of the parts engine still had the head and it does the same thing. Is that correct?
Thanks for your help
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps-delco View Post
My grandfather was a Delco Light Plant dealer, and I have a large book filled with the service manuals, parts lists, etc. for basically everything that they made/sold.

Is this stuff already available online, i.e. pdf, or are they old light plants so rare and unused that they do not care about this stuff?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:14:46 AM
Registered

I also have a Delco 1250, 850, 8-C-3, and a 752 that I'd like to find literature for. Shop manuals would be great, but I've never seen anything.
My repro owner's manual has very little information in it's few pages. I'd like to find some parts and repair manuals. Thanks, Tom