Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Fuller & Johnson Western Electric light plant

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 551 times

Old 02-27-2019, 02:00:02 PM
Registered

Default Fuller & Johnson Western Electric light plant

Hi Everyone,

First post here, but I've of course done some Google reading of the forums from time to time.

I have a question about a battery charging engine that I've come across and how I can use it with modern batteries.

The unit is a Western Electric "Power and Light Set", which was set up for battery charging. As such, it has no magneto, and was designed to be started from the batteries it was charging. The plate lists voltage as 35/42, and the charging regulator has a plate that says 40 volts.

My biggest question is what configuration of batteries can I use to run and charge with this thing? I'd like to leave the regulator and alternator intact, as the control panel is quite complete. I would like to build some sort of modern battery pack though, to be able to demonstrate it reliably.

Since this is not specific to the engine, but rather an electrical system, I apologize if this is not the correct place for this question.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2019, 02:46:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,942 Posts
Default Re: Fuller & Johnson Western Electric light plant

That would have been used with a nominal 32 volt battery (16 cells). You could get 4, 8 volt batteries (they're made for golf carts and the like) and connect them in series to make a 32 volt battery.

Keith
Old 02-28-2019, 12:14:43 AM
Registered

I agree, in series.....
The Following User Says Thank You to ulgydog56 For This Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 06:33:01 AM
Registered

I have a bunch of 32 volt light plants, they all start and run and charge with three "CHEAP" lawn and garden batteries in series. These plants are usually rated at 40 to 42 volts Don't waste your money on special batteries, save it up and buy more gensets.
GUS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneratorGus For This Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 09:27:07 AM
Subscriber

I have two of them, and I will be using the cheapo garden tractor batteries too. They work with my Delco plants..

There is a large open wound resistor on the back bottom of the switchboard. Its connected across the field as a dropping resistor I think. There is a long section and a short one. The long one is normal charging mode, and the small one is overcharge.

Can someone tell me what ohm reading you get on each section?. Mine are toast and I'm trying to recreate the right rating. The wires are broken everywhere in the roll, so not able to measure it myself.I don't know how many volts its supposed to drop it down to. I'm guessing 32-36v but don't know.

Thank you

See my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/standardtwin1
Old 03-04-2019, 02:20:28 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneratorGus View Post
I have a bunch of 32 volt light plants, they all start and run and charge with three "CHEAP" lawn and garden batteries in series. These plants are usually rated at 40 to 42 volts Don't waste your money on special batteries, save it up and buy more gensets.
GUS
So 3 of them in series for 36v?

---------- Post added at 01:20:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18:55 PM ----------

Duh, I see now that you did say 3 of them in series.