Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Points question

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2230 times

Old 06-19-2005, 02:49:39 PM
Subscriber

Default Points question

I'm working on a Jacobsen 10-acre mower engine (the 4-stroke Jacobsen). The moving part of the points is a piece of spring steel with the electrode in one end, see picture. That electrode is shot. Is there a way for a completely inexperienced person to replace the electrode?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	points.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2445  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 06:36:51 PM
Sky

Default Re: Points question

I think you have to replace the whole thing, that electrode on the spring steel is 1 unit put togeather, i hesitate to say perminatly installed to the spring steel but thats what i would say, at the factory they put that togeather to be permanant to the spring steel, so that makes it all in one unit, (if im making sence) so basically what you would have to do is write down your engine numbers, model, serial No., and code, if it has a code number, and find a small engine dealer that deals in jacobsen parts, and buy new set of points, the new set of points will, or should, contain this spring steel with a new electrode and the new set (package of points) will contain the other part of the points aswell, (i would think)
once you replace the points with new ones, they have to be set at .020 (20 thousands) with a feeler guage.

Hope this helped a bit.

p.s. this kind of looks CLOSE to the old briggs & stratton peice of points, like points for a z model briggs, are you shure, maybee with a little modifying you couldn't buy a set of points for a briggs model Y, only use the spring steel part and with a little modifying, use that? just wondering.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:51:05 PM
Registered-II

Your picture isn't good enough for me to see real good. Looks like they are just pitted. If so, get a file and go to work. That stuff is had so it will take a while. Just file it down. Don't put it on a grinder. If you file most of it away that wont hurt.
L.D.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:42:47 PM
Subscriber

You might try filing the remaining point flat, drilling a hole and getting a ignitor replacement type point to put in from hit and miss.The ignitor points have a head of various sizes on a "stem". The stem is inserted in the hole you drilled out. You would flatten the back side over with a ball pien hammer. I think that might solve that problem very well, and can easily be shaped or filed to the proper size etc.
Good Luck
Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 11:18:00 AM
Subscriber

Sorry about the quality of the picture.

"Looks like they are just pitted." There is only one little sharp point sticling through the spring steel. If I file it off there won't be anything left.

Michael, I'll look into the igniter replacement points. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:29:30 PM
eMail NOT Working

Leonard,
Just a passing thought, but some of the older electric clothes dryers had some pretty hefty "points" in the timers ! nice long springy things with heavy silver contacts. One of these could be sweated onto that "bracket",for lack of knowing what else to call it,without overheating the flat spring itself. Should work til you get something better.
Gene
Old 06-27-2005, 07:59:52 AM
Subscriber

The "back" side of the points electrode is still in good shape. I've been told I can just turn the spring steel piece over and use that. I'll give that a try because right now it doesn't look too likely it will ever run much.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:37:12 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,058 Posts

A couple of years ago I bought a B&S model K and ZZP at an auction. The next week as I was cleaning them up to return them to running shape I was filing one of the moving half of one of the point sets when the contact came off. I did not know what to do, but I cleaned up both sides of the piece thet came off plus where it came from on the flat spring. I have a spot welder and I thought I would try that as the points were screwed up an d I could not hurt them. To make a long story short I was able to spot weld the piece back in place. That is what it runs on now. At the time the point set for these engine was stillin the B&S price sheet. I ordered two sets. I did not get them as all of a sudden the part were dropped from the price list and I was told they were no longer available. If this is a flywheel magneto, you could upgrade to the electronic chip that replaces the point and condenser.

Kent