Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Maytag Single "balance problem"

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3512 times

Old 09-05-2005, 02:47:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Maytag Single "balance problem"

I have finally got my single cylinder Maytag running. However, it likes to leave the building on its own unless it is more than firmly anchored.
I don’t know its history so perhaps the flywheel is off another engine, thus, a balance problem.
Any suggestions on how to attempt to balance it?
(Note: I have another single not running and intend to put its flywheel on the vibrator and see what happens. It couldn’t be worst.)
Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2005, 03:09:41 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag Single "balance problem"

What model is it? the uprights need a heavy base as they are not balanced. the 82s are not much better. The 92s will walk all over the place, although they are better than the uprights. Remember, these engines were originally mounted in a heavy machine, that absorbed most of the vibration. (Ever see one of the Ideal mower engines on a small skid) Now those things can dance! For the maytag, a heavy mount is the best option, other than staking the skid to the ground I have a model 92 I call the helicopter - it will make 1 revolution every 10 seconds, if I don't stake it down (on a level surface).
Andrew
Old 09-05-2005, 04:03:37 PM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag Single "balance problem"

The exaust tube keeps mine fron walking away.. Layout the 8 ft. w/castball..But hauling between shows is a real hassle.. Andrew is right they need to have a someway to keep them in your space... ..Byron
Old 09-05-2005, 04:36:36 PM
Registered

Tom, It might help a little if you took off the plate on the side of the engine and slowed it down a lot by turnng the knurled nut inside the flywheel a few turns counter clockwise. To actually balance a 92 is out of the question it seems. Joe Morris
Old 09-05-2005, 07:09:45 PM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Maytag Single "balance problem"

I want to thank the folks that replied. I guess I will just put it on a large spring (auto type) and let it do it's thing. It might be fun to watch it!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:03:25 PM
Registered

Tom,
The crankshaft counter weight on a 92 is located on the starter ratchet. If the ratchet is missing or turned 180 degrees, a concrete foundation is the only thing that will hold the engine down. Originally, the ratchet was held on by a tapered pin. I've seen more than one engine on which the pin has been replaced by something other than a tapered pin. This allows the ratchet to be positioned 180 degrees from where it should be.

Kirk