Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

CCK "Points Problem" (resolution & mea culpa)

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1648 times

Old 11-24-2005, 12:01:44 PM
Registered-III

Default CCK "Points Problem" (resolution & mea culpa)

A few weeks ago our beloved old CCK failed us a couple days following hurricane Wilma and I asked you fine people for advice. It died with classic points symptoms (farting, backfiring, surging etc.) so naturally, my snap diagnosis was points. When I found a few drops of oil in the points box, I refined my (mis)diagnosis to "oil-fouled points". I should have noticed that cleaning the points never helped the situation for even a moment and I should not have missed the clue that the engine would always start and run fine for a few seconds before dying. I certainly should have held the "Rope Start" switch down for a few seconds to be sure that the generator was not shutting itself down.

But no, I had diagnosed the problem as "points" and that was the end of the matter.

Inagine my chagrin when the symptoms did not change following the installation of a new set of points! Today, I installed an oil pressure guage and, to my great relief, measured 28 pounds. So the problem is the oil pressure switch. I changed out that sucker last year with a NAPA part because the old sender was oozing oil.

Should I buy the genuine "green" Onan part? Or will it just be the same Chinese POS that I can get at NAPA for half the money?

Vaughn
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2005, 02:39:59 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts
Exclamation Re: CCK "Points Problem" (resolution & mea culpa)

If the NAPA replacement is a direct replacement, it should be OK
Andrew
Old 11-24-2005, 03:42:03 PM

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,207 Posts
Talking Re: CCK "Points Problem" (resolution & mea culpa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughnSimon
Should I buy the genuine "green" Onan part? Or will it just be the same Chinese POS that I can get at NAPA for half the money?
Vaughn
Vaughn, I have had really bad luck with the Standard NAPA Oil Pressure Switches. They are of POOR quality, and fail considerably more often than
the "REAL" Hobbs Oil Pressure Switches that can the purchased thru NAPA
as well. Spend a few extra pennies for the Hobbs switch and then forget
about it for the rest of your lifetime.

Bruce in alaska
Old 11-25-2005, 03:49:34 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: CCK "Points Problem" (resolution & mea culpa)

Thanks Bruce, that is exactly the type of info I was looking for. My local NAPA was not willing to order the Hobbs or SW part, and their web catalog is not any help. They would be happy to sell me another part like the last one, but I don't consider that an option.

I will Google the part. I think Onan uses a setpoint of 10 pounds. If so, I want a 10# "Normally On" unit. Looks like a Hobbs or SW part # 78151.

Vaughn