Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

GRAY stationary engines

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2857 times

Old 04-21-2001, 12:36:40 PM
Denis Rouleau

Default GRAY stationary engines

I often hear Gray stationary engines referred to as Model "J" or Model "G". How can we tell them apart? Which one of the two Models is the oldest? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2001, 11:46:19 PM
Bob turner

Default Re: GRAY stationary engines

Denis, you're bringing out a new latent obsession in me,engine numbers,and year of manufacture.See my newly developed obssesion list which i'll post shortly on this site.My Gray is I believe 4hp ,on the head flange is stamped 4G 5636.I assume the 4 is hp,and the G is the model. The smaller Gray shown could be a J if perhaps they started with a reverse alphabet??but what about H, and I models?? Has anyone got an H or I?? What is the number on the head of the engine you show??I'd guess 3J----with -----being a high number with normal alphabet or a low number with reverse alphabet. Hope this helps clarify things for you.Bob.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:12:04 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,305 Times in 2,478 Posts
Default Re: GRAY stationary engines

I thought I recognized that engine.

The fellow that had it thought a lot of it and indicated it was quite rare with the rounded hopper top. I have the complete Gray farm engine catalog and I'll have to study up. I let a 6HP get away from me one time, but never got back to them.

-- Harry