Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Ignitor points gap question

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1419 times

Old 09-17-2008, 11:26:55 AM
Subscriber

Default Ignitor points gap question

I have a 1 1/2 hp Hercules with a Webster and ignitor..all was well and then all was not..wouldn't start...suspected the mag and ignitor..pulled the mag and ignitor and put them on the bench and "snapped" the points (didn't have the "tool" but worked fine with a screwdriver)...I noticed the bolt with the lock nut that sets the amount of travel on the movable point was loose and backed way out...I set it "by eyeball" until I got a nice fat spark when I snapped the mag...engine is running fine now...

My question..is there a "spec" for how to set that locking bolt/nut unit to give the best performance? I just took it to where it appeared the threads had once been in the lock nut and snugged it down but that isn't very "scientific"...don't want to cause excess wear on the points nor work with a weak spark....any thoughts or help appreciated.
R. Kern
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 12:24:19 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,589 Times in 4,245 Posts
Exclamation Re: Ignitor points gap question

Optimum setting - with the mag at rest, set the screw so that it just barely touches the trip on the mag. The points should remain closed. This will give you maximum spark.
Andrew
Old 09-17-2008, 01:12:46 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ignitor points gap question

Got your p/m and saw the answer here as well...many thanks for the help...I'll check it and set it as you indicate...I knew there had to be an optimum setting.
R. Kern
Old 09-17-2008, 08:36:59 PM

Thanked 20,710 Times in 5,994 Posts

Gonna disagree with Andrew on this one.
That might be what the BOOK says........
We have a Webster on an IHC 15h Famous and the screw is turned out so far the end is flush with the finger........
Every one is different......too many variables with spring tension being the main one.
If you wanna KNOW......bench test it.......
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36:19 PM
Subscriber

Interesting...I set it "by feel" when I had it off and just messed with it in a darkened area of the garage until I got the "fattest" spark...originally I just got a tiny "tick" off the edge of the points and it was intermittant....as I said, I messed with it until it gave what appeared to be a "fat" spark that, while not really bright, seemed to occur across the full width of the points (remember I was using a screw driver so my "tool" may have not been the most effecient...that's the way I put it back on the engine and the engine started right up and ran without a hitch for about 20 minutes or so...after reading the reply and getting the p/m reply to my query, I went out and checked where my guess had put the bolt in relation to the trip mechanism...it was very close...in fact so close I couldn't see any reason to mess with it...so I guess that setting it by guess and by golly worked on this one about the way indicated...never know about this old stuff...I'm sure some of it has so much slop that all the basics just go out the window...thanks to everyone that offered help...I think I used to know some of this stuff but I forgot a lot when I was away from the hobby...thanks again,
The Following User Says Thank You to R. Kern For This Post:
Old 09-17-2008, 11:08:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,837 Times in 1,721 Posts

I set my Websters with the points "JUST" touching . It will work at other settings , but I find this the best for .
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Old 09-18-2008, 01:21:37 AM
Registered-III

The problem with using "the screwdriver method" of tripping the magneto to try to adjust things so that you get the hottest spark is that you will have inconsistency in the amount that you cock the armature, as well as inconsistency in the "release" of the screwdriver from the armature shaft. It is much better to spend the 8 bucks or so that the dealers charge for a "starting lever" for the Webster mags. With one of them, you will be cocking the armature the same amount every time, and it is much easier to get a consistent release by using them.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06:07 AM
Subscriber

I am going to get one for future situations...main thing is that whatever I did, the engine runs and runs great..I'll check it further when I get the lever..thanks all for the information.
R. Kern
Old 09-18-2008, 02:12:09 PM

Thanked 20,710 Times in 5,994 Posts

^ When it ain't broke don't "fix" it........