Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco light engine?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1889 times

Old 01-19-2009, 03:37:16 AM
Registered

Default Delco light engine?

G'day from down under in New Zealand, I'm new to the this site & hoping somebody may be able to help me out. I have been given a partially disassembled engine that I plan to recondition. From what I have found out so far I believe it is a Delco Light engine, but it has a belt driver pulley instead of a generator installed. There is only an identification plate with the number 26867 stamped on it. It is an air cooled single cylinder four stroke engine with a 62mm bore(approx) and 133mm stroke(approx), it has a Bosch magneto with a rotating contactor points system (still fires a spark). It does not have a modern carburettor (with float and butterfly), fuel delivery appears to be through a tapered tube which has a rotatable restrictor to control air flow that has 5 marking on it : start, 1, 2, 3, stop.
Is anybody able to identify make, model, age, what colour it should be(appears to have been black), contact points gap, spark plug gap, tappet settings. Also does it have a head gasket or is the cylinder head lapped onto the barrel? The piston had been removed and had a piece broken off the piston crown (have had this repaired), there are three ring grooves with two rings in each groove(but only have five rings). I had my suspicions on how the piston was broken, so I refitted it minus the rings and when I turned the engine over I saw that the piston's top ring groove was partial exposed at T.D.C. which could have allowed a piston ring to pop out of its groove, catch on top of the barrel thus breaking itself and the piston on the down stroke, hence only five rings found. There is a thin paper gasket between the engine block and the cylinder barrel, originally would it have been paper/card or something thicker to raise the barrel height, thus stopping the piston ring becoming exposed? Hopefully I have managed to attach a couple of pictures to help identify it. Any information would be gratefully received.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	46898

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	46899
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,976 Times in 814 Posts
Default Re: Delco light engine?

I'm no Delco expert, but I'm pretty sure that is a Delco. I think Delco Don needs to chime in on this one. He could tell you what you want to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to vern0n For This Post:
Old 01-21-2009, 01:24:37 AM
Sky

Im no delco expert myself but i have seen them just enough to say with 95 percent confidence to say that it is a delco light plant engine (forgot what model) That looks to have had the generator removed along with a few other things and has been turned into just a general purpose gneral use engine equiped with a flat belt pully. Which wouldnt suprise me becouse when those generators were retired from duty it was becouse for the times they were getting impracticle to use which required alot of old glass batterys or today, 2 12 volt battery's and one 8 volt which can become costly and alot of people were then getting electricity from the city which was cheaper in the long run then to use this type of generator. Dont know why yours was retired. Maybee it became impracticle to use or perhaps it may have burnt out due to incorrect use but that will truley take alot to get that light plant back to the way it use to be. Probably cheaper to keep it like it is now even if it is a highly molested engine. Thats all i know. Anything more i leave it to Delco don. He's the delco man.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40:44 AM
Registered

I do have the other engine parts, I'm just in the process of stripping so I can recondition the parts. I have managed to get in touch with Delco Don who has helped greatly - 1917 Delco Light 850. But thanks for your input it all helps.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:05:56 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,976 Times in 814 Posts

I'm just wondering, does the magneto look factory set up, or is it a rig somebody put together? Delco did make a few engines that where set up for stationary work, (no generator).
Old 01-21-2009, 07:11:22 PM
Subscriber

I'll bet that is a 850 plant, made in late 1926
Someone has fitted a mag coupling to the end of the camshaft. In addition, the armature is gone, and a pulley was fitted. It is a good use for a engine that must have had the armature and end bell robbed off or rendered useless.
I am working on a 850 that was nearly engineered the same, due to parts missing etc,

Here is a video of my Delco Light model 6005 2 1/2hp engine. They only made one model of this type only.
This is the one that is a real engine only for belt work, never a generator. It was made in 1923. See this thread:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51290

Mike

See my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/standardtwin1

Last edited by Mike Schweikert; 01-21-2009 at 07:27:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:29:36 PM
Registered-III

Hi Mike;
Since I don't see a battery,coil or magneto does it have a flywheel mag??

Iron Wolf
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13:27 PM
Subscriber

Yes, it has a flywheel mag, and was of only three models that Delco light made in that configuration. They are the Model 301, 1275 and the 6005 which is the one I have. The 6005 is the only engine they ever made that was not designed for a generator. It is only for belt work. Mine was made in 1923.

Mike

See my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/standardtwin1
Old 01-29-2009, 01:24:30 PM
Subscriber

hi greggles where in ch ch . I am in aranui.
There used to be a delco light plant down by the batches around from taylors mistake the engine was covered over with a sack it was just lying ander the trees for a good many years gone now.
I would have loved to have that but didnt like the thought of the heart attack getting it back up the hill
give me a call 03 9422142 i would love to yack about old things and thats not the wife