Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Nelson Bros Little Jumbo model P info

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2356 times

Old 03-24-2009, 04:06:42 AM
Registered

Default Nelson Bros Little Jumbo model P info

I'm new to this and may be in the wrong thread but here goes!
I dont know what the lever does on the Webster single magnet mag bracket. It is about 2 inches long and has 2 positions but doesnt appear to have an obvious function. It is to the right of the igniter.Also there is a large lever between the timing cogs and the starter flywheel with about 4 notched positions. I assume it is an advance/retard lever but I am not sure how to use it.
Any advice?
I have nearly completed a 70 hour restoration(yes, I am probably slow) but it looks a million dollars and I made sure it worked (roughly) before I started. I have another one minus some bits only 6 numbers apart from my motor under restoration.Of course being in New Zealand the motor is upside down.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52:52 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Nelson Bros Little Jumbo model P info

Rod,The lever to the right of the ignitor is to advance and retard the timing.It works on an eccentric shaft and raises and lowers the trip rod.The other lever you mention is the speed control and it increases and decreases the spring tension on the detent blade. Chip
Old 03-24-2009, 04:33:57 PM
Registered

Thankyou for your reply Chip. Is retard to the right? Also, is pushing in the inlet valve with my finger the correct way to kill the engine?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14:34 PM
Subscriber

Hi Rod, I would not hold the intake valve in while the engine is running . I shut mine down by closing the fuel valve. and yes the lever to the right is the retard position