Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

IHC-LB-Speed Lever

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1473 times

Old 07-05-2002, 05:10:04 AM
Garry

Default IHC-LB-Speed Lever

I had the mag.off,reinstalled.-Engine starts,runs fine,except there is no change in RPM when I move the lever.(it worked ok before).Can anyone tell me how this lever operates and what to check for. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2002, 09:07:49 AM
Norm S

Default Re: IHC-LB-Speed Lever

Garry,

Taking the mag off would have nothing to do with the speed lever. Having just had an LA apart to replace the gov. gear, I know EXACTLY how it works! The lever on the outside puts more or less spring tension on the gov. assy. inside. There are a couple things that can make this non-functional. First, the lever is connected to the engine by a bolt that acts as a fulcrum. The bottom of the lever pushes more or less on a spring to change the speed of the engine. The spring and oil seal sit inside a hole drilled in the side cover. This spring and seal are subject to stick, old oil, rust, gunk, etc. Take the lever off and gently take the seal out and the spring and make sure everything is clean and free. Second in on the inside. In my case there was a grain of wheat, yes, wheat, stuck between the movable and non-movable arm of the gov. which kept it from doing anything useful. By taking the inspection cover off the back of the engine you can somewhat see and/or get at the gov. assy. to see if it is stuck. However, you probably will not be able to do anything useful if it is stuck. Best solution here is to take the flywheel and side cover off and take the gov. apart and clean it. Last possibility is that the butterfly/control rod is stuck OR the spring inside the engine that would make the butterfly open is broken. If you take the tank and mixer off you can check both of these things. Turn the engine on its side or upside down and see if the butterfly moves freely and that it snaps wide open from spring pressure. If it does not do either of these things you need to investigate further. In my case the control rod was gunked up and some liberal application of penetrating oil and gasoline and movement freed it up again. If the spring is broken (it resides in the crankcase), you're on your own as I have never replaced one and don't know how to change it! Hopefully it is not and you will find the problem somewhere else...

Hope this helps!

Norm
Old 07-05-2002, 11:48:28 PM
Roger, Northwest, CO

Here is an online copy of the LA manual should apply to your LB question.

http://http://www.oldengine.org/docs/
Old 07-06-2002, 12:21:28 AM
Craig

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! A fellow dropped of an LA with a governor problem last week and I have NO book, manual or experience with this engine. Your timing is PERFECT!!! Craig