Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Delco 850 Starting Question

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1479 times

Old 04-22-2009, 10:40:26 PM
Registered-III

Unhappy Delco 850 Starting Question

I have an early Delco 850, Serial # 26377 manufactured sometime in 1917. I figured out the ignition coil wiring to the start switch and I cleaned the contacts on the starter switch. My question is this: When I raise the arm on the switch the engine does crank showing -30 amps on the ammeter but only cranks for 3-5 seconds before the starter switch cuts out which at the same time removes the battery voltage from the ignition coil. I can get it to fire a few times before this happens. Is the 30 amp draw normal for starting? and what might cause the starting switch to kick out after only 3-5 seconds of cranking? I have checked the brushes for abnormal heat build up after repeated start attempts and they are only slightly warm to the touch. Please give me a direction to take in trouble shooting.

Thanks

M. Breen
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48:23 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default Re: Delco 850 Starting Question

I think the problem with the starter cutting-out may be due to the bimetal timing relay that trips out the ignition and cranking if the engine does not start after about 30 seconds. This is to keep from running the batteries all the way down if it runs out of gas.

I could be wrong about the timer on the 850 but that's what the 750 had that I restored a few years ago. The timer has a heating coil wrapped around the bimetal blade that causes the blade to bend as it heats until it unlatches the starting switch. It is adjustable.

The article about that plant is on my web page:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/

Take care - Elden
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Elden. This 850 only has (1) starter relay that does everything. I have not taken it apart yet but it does not have the standard wrapped heater taht the 750 has. I am hoping that the problem is only a dirty contact but time will tell.

Thanks Again !
The Following User Says Thank You to MBreen254 For This Post:
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57:31 PM
In Memory Of

M. Breen;

If you have a wiring digram, check the wiring carefully. I think you have it wired wrong. If you don't have a wiring digram, contact me off line and I can help.

The Model-850 doesn't have the "cranking cut out" and if it was going through that it takes about two minutes for the cut out to get hot enough to shut every thing down.

Nice of you to help Elden, but the 850 was the first gnerator Delco-Light made and it didn't have the newer "tricks".

If wired correctly the Model-850 crank as long as you hold the "start lever" up. Once it starts the reverse current part of that switch will magnetize and hold the second lever up and that is what controls the current to the coil. If the generator should run ot of gas or there is no spark the will de-magnetize and allow the second lever to drop down and disconnect the battery from the unit.

"DELCO DON"
Old 04-23-2009, 04:00:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanks Don. The engine will crank as long as I hold the lever in the up position but maybe there actually is no problem....most likely user error. When I raise the lever it immediately energizes and holds the relay portion against the bottom of the coil for 3-4 seconds and then cuts out. Bare in mind that I let go of the lever immediately upon enrgizing....do I hold the lever up until the engine starts and comes up to speed (showing positive current flow)? If you have a manual available contact me at my email:mbreen254@earthlink.net.

Thanks for the help.....need all I can get.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41:50 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Don:

I knew you'd correct me. I stand corrected!

Thanks!

Take care - Elden
Old 04-23-2009, 06:57:41 PM
Registered-III

Question Re: Delco 850 Starting Question

Don, or anyone familiar with the 850 mixer valve: I believe that over the years the hole in the bottom of the fuel inlet on the mixer valve has become too large. My engine has good compression but is always overfueling even on the "stop" setting on the choke control. I do understand that there has to be vacuum present to draw the fuel from the fuel tank and thus the choke control must cover at least some of the air openings near the breather end but as far as I know with the choke lever in the full stop position there should be so little vacuum as to stop the fuel intake from the tank. The opening in the bottom of the fuel intake is large enough to allow the shaft of a large paper to pass through and then some and almost large enough to pass a 4D finish nail. These seems a little large for the HP of the engine. Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks

M. Breen