Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Western Electric / Fuller & Johnson 15B Lighting Plant Parts Needed

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3893 times

Old 07-26-2009, 08:22:30 PM
Registered

Default Western Electric / Fuller & Johnson 15B Lighting Plant Parts Needed

I have a fairly complete Western Electric / Fuller & Johnson lighting plant that is need of only a couple of parts initialy. Everything is there except for some sheet metal parts that I think I can fabricate. Except for the amp meter and the large ceramic/wire wound resistor the controller is complete. What I realy need is a connecting rod/piston assembly. At some point many-many years ago the con-rod broke and someone appears to have brazed it. It would appear that the engine ran after these repairs but I dont feel at all comfortable with this repair. I might be able to make due with the connecting rod only as the piston appears very useable. I also am looking for an exhaust valve as mine is missing one. If anyone has a service/owners manual please give me a shout.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can render.

M. breen
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 10:46:26 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Western Electric / Fuller & Johnson 15B Lighting Plant Parts Needed

Could you post a picture of th eengine you are working on? It may be a common industrial engine that Fuller & Johnson used.

Kent
Old 07-27-2009, 08:08:23 AM
Registered

Update on the piston / rod assembly. After looking at a photograph of another members crankcase it is clear that the piston/rod that came out of my engine is not original...ring placement and oil pickup on the lower end are much differant as is the domed piston. It appears that the connecting rod did not break but was lengthened to fit the engine. Also needed would be the ohm readings from the ceramic resistor so I can rewind correctly, unless someone has a good spare. Please let me know.

Thanks

M. Breen
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07:37 PM
Subscriber

Mr. Breen, I also have a light plant like yours, Thanks to many great people here on the stak, I have slowly been aquiring some parts. I do have a parts motor that I bought from another stakker that has the rod and piston. I do not get much time to work on projects during the summer, so it will probably be later this year, before I know for sure if I will have extra parts to spare. Lets keep in touch, Bob.... Boonville, Mo.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:04:53 PM
Registered

Thank you very much for your response. I have made a lot of progress...rebuilt the carburetor/fuel pump..now lifts fuel over 2'. Removed and repaired the oil pump which had been sitting in a crankcase full of mouse nests..freed up the lifters..replaced the valves in the head..Identified the cut wires from the controller board and cleaned out the 60+ year old oil that had clogged the oil pasage in the main bearing..crankshaft now spins freely. I do have a question though...does this engine have an oil seal betwen the crankcase and the flywheel? During the cleaning of the main bearing oil passages I used gasoline under slight pressure from an elecronic fuel pump to dissolve the old oil and noticed gasoline/oil leaking out around the crankshaft just where the shaft exits the crankcase. I would interested in all feed-back as well the possibility of the availability of a piston/connecting rod assembly. From what I can see it appears that the engine did run for however long on the brazed together connecting rod, but I would hate to go through all the trouble of getting this engine running only to have it throw a rod and really cob the works up. Look forward to hearing any and all as to mt question(s).

Everyone on the Stack has been great...Only high praise from this user.

Thanks Again !!!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:39:14 PM
Registered

I have a 15B i just rebuilt. The valves were shot. I took the head to a local Car Quest that has a machine shop to see what could be done. They put in 350 chevy valves and new guides to match. He ground the seats and put some chevy Keepers on the top and charged me $36. Once you put the top on it you cant see the valve tops anyway. The parts your looking for is, Connecting rod part # is G2V25-B, Piston is X2V35. I am looking for the cylinder head cover #2V21.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:27:21 AM
Registered

I have a 15B that I'm going to part out at some time when I get the time. It is still on the trailer that I got it on so don't be in a hurry. I got it for the fuel tank and the coil, which this one has. The rest goes for parts.
BILL
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43:10 PM
Registered

I am intersted in the resister coil on the back lower control panel and the dome top that covers the rocker arms. Would you be interested in parting with them?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:26:39 AM
Registered

I am in need of a set of lifters for my 15b and the rod that comes from the governor out to the lift arm. If someone has another resister coil for the lower back panel and a set of brushes for the gen that would be great too. This one did not have the correct spark plug or condenser. any ideas on part numbers that will work