Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Starting instructions for a flyball Gov. Blackstone

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2535 times

Old 08-21-2009, 03:44:03 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,948 Times in 432 Posts
Default Starting instructions for a flyball Gov. Blackstone

I just imported this 1901 5 HP side shaft Vertical flyball Blackstone oil engine. I have all the required bits to go along with it but I do not have any kind of owners / starting instructions. I am wondering if anyone out here has any be it original or reproduction. Or maybe you have experience starting one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engones 015.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	61366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engones 016.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	61367  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2009, 09:58:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Starting instructions for a flyball Gov. Blackstone

Not a clue, but thanks anyway for the eye candy.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:19:19 AM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 1,368 Times in 544 Posts

Hi Mike, The little bit Myself and Butch Johnson ran 1 we learned that the temp of the hot bulb is real fussy.Too cold and it miss fires.Too hot and it fires real early which yanks the fw outta your hand and runs backward . When it goes backward the fuel valve opens up and blows out the flame in the hot bulb.Then you start over.After trying that for acouple of hours we got smart and belted it to a 6hp M. once we got it rolling over pretty good it started and ran on it's own.That engine was an 8hp and the comp. was pretty low do to a bad bore.Yours may go easier being smaller.
Nice engine indeed.I'll bet all of those push mowers in the backround of the 1 picture are jealous of those 2 nice English side shafts (LOL)Rob
Old 08-22-2009, 01:01:24 AM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Starting instructions for a flyball Gov. Blackstone

Mike O,

Check out the Down Under Forum, Australia. The guys down there are pretty sharp when it comes to Hornsby's, Blackstones and such. Either post there about info on your engine, or look up Patrick Livingstone, Merv C, Inter-Bloke or Michaely. They're all great guys with lotsa good info.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Geyer; 08-22-2009 at 10:40:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,948 Times in 432 Posts

Thanks All, I will start a thread on the "down Under" forum I didn't even think about that. Rob come on up and I will load ALL of the push mowers on your trailer for free.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52:06 PM
Registered-II

The Blackstones are really nice engines. I have lived the past 40 years in the UK and have seen these engine at vintage rallys. They are the type of engine that make you stand and stare... they really stand out from the crowd for me.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:52:03 PM
Registered-II

Beautiful engine! Nice curved spoke flywheel.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:09:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 14,221 Times in 2,376 Posts

Mike,

Congratulations on your very fine engine! They are very well built and nicely turned out motors that can run nice and slow if the temp is right.

I have read in a copy of a manual that after pre-heating the hot bulb, you drip kerosene on top to see how fast it evaporates. If the kero evaporates in 3 to 5 seconds, you are ready to try to start the engine. I never felt that this was scientific enough for me, so I started playing around with an infrared thermometer to try to dial it in. I heat my hot bulb with propane using a Meker burner (a special type of Bunsen burner) that is mounted on an adjustable stand that allows it to be raised or lowered depending on my needs. The stationary models with full base would use a bracket mounted to the exhaust pipe as it descends. This bracket would be adjustable up and down as well. They used a blow lamp torch under the bulb to heat. I can post a picture pretty soon of my set up but I don't have the pics on this computer. Mine is a portable Blackstone mounted on a cart.
I remove my lower cover by sliding it off and remove the top round cap and begin the pre-heat. I usually heat fairly slow as it gives me time to lubricate and "get-ready". When the top of the hot bulb is between 450 and 500 degrees Fahrenheit, I am ready to pull her over. I do slide the compression release lobe over before trying to pull her over and I also make sure the fuel pump is primed up the the Kerosene pre-heating chamber before I try it. When the temp is there, she will hit and go on the first one or two compression cycles. I slip the compression release lobe over to full compression and she takes off. Since I do not yet have a proper pulley mounted up, I do not pull anything over with my engine. Due to this, I need to keep a light flame on the bulb or I begin to lose heat. I can close the bottom slide and top cap up and she will run for 15 minutes or so depending on atmospheric conditions before it is too cold and she misses. You can tell how she is burning by the exhaust. I do have the proper pot set up for my exhaust that she is very quiet but you can still see a change in the exhaust when it gets cooler. I have not measured how slow it actually runs, but it is not "normal" operating speed.
I have fought with this engine for quite a while to get her to run like it does now. It has run away before and ramped up the speed and had to be shut down (very scary) and it has coughed and smoked quite a bit to be where she is now. Big thanks go out to Dick Brockmeyer and Bill McLaughlin to help with the timing and dialing her in and Chris and Rodney Epping for a replacement oiler glass.
I have run her when it is cooler with no water in the engine for shorter times, but when I run her quite a while, I fill up the cooling tank. The temp of the water when she is up to regular running in the cooling tank is between 100 and 130 degrees so I think she could certainly run faster or hotter. I do have high compression, which will help. Lower compression would likely need a hotter bulb to take care of business.
I hope this helps a little. Congratulations and have fun getting her going!

Travis Benner
Blue Grass, Iowa