Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Delco light plant?

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2105 times

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06:06 PM
Registered

Default Delco light plant?

Im looking at a Delco light plant this week and the price they are asking is $75 its complete as far as i can tell,motor is loose painted blue over black.Is that a good deal?It looks like a car ignition coil rigged up on the outside of the engine.There is a console panel with a guage and fuse please let me know what you think. Thanks Darrin
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 05:33:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts
Default Re: Delco lightplant ?

As heavy as they are, it'll bring that much as scrap iron!...But, If it's complete, it's certainly worth $75 bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 09-23-2009, 06:22:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,219 Times in 478 Posts

Let me put it this way. They aint makin 'em any more. Go grab that Delco! Even if it's not something you like, look at it as tradin' stock for a future deal!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20:54 AM
In Memory Of

Darrin;

Delco-Light made in excess of 90 different models of generators. $75.00 dollars sounds like a good buy, but a picture here would help a lot in making an accurate estimate. It sounds like it has been altered already and there are several things that can be missing and to the untrained eye you wouldn't know what that was.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
The Following User Says Thank You to Don C. Wiley For This Post:
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10:48 PM
Registered

Thanks Fellas for the feedback.
Don maybe you can help me out with these pics? thanks Darrin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delco.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	63653  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:18:06 PM
Registered

And the other.Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delco 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	63656  
Old 09-24-2009, 09:19:57 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

for 75 bucks?! Get it!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:22:01 PM
Subscriber

Buy It........NOW
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34:50 PM
In Memory Of

Darrin;

That's a Model-601 and appears to be in pretty good shape, for the shape it's in. It looks like you will have to do some repair on the wiring on the brush plate and control panel. The start switch looks kind of poor and the cover is missing off of it, however they are usually missing. The coil is not Delco-Light, but might work ok. If you want to put it back in condition to charge the 32 volt battery, you will need to add a voltage droping resistor to the primary winding.

The original color of those were black, but they might have been repainted blue if sent back to the factory for a rebuild. There was a period that the smaller L head engines were blue from the factory and that's the color of blue thery were.

If I can be of any more help, just e-mail me direct and I'll try to help you out.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don C. Wiley For This Post:
Old 09-26-2009, 08:23:23 PM
Registered

Thanks Don for the info I appreciate it ,when I pickit up I will let you know thanks Darrin,
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05:59 PM
Registered

Don!, How can you tell from the picture that it's a 601 and not a 600? I know the 601 has cast iron fins on the cylinder but what shows in his picture that you can identify it as a 601? I don't have a 601 so I can't tell. Just curious.
Steve
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57:17 PM
Registered

This is my first contact with you all and I'm not familiar with the workings of the site yet. I wanted to create a new thread but can't figure out how so I'm contacting you via reply. Sorry

My Uncle, now 87 used to work for Niagara Mohawk and in the early 60’s bought a 32v 850 and took it up to our camp in Saranac Lake, NY. We’ve used it ever since. It still is in working order today. We’ve had to tear it down a couple of times for this and that but, it is still performing its original task. We’ve got two sets of deep cycle batteries hooked up to it and will run it for a day or two when we go up there on vacation. When the batteries get to about 1200sg we shut it down and they last several days for evening lighting. We even have a 32v 1 hp motor we use in the boat house to pump river water for cleaning pots and pans and you and me.

A couple of years ago, some sorry folks broke into the storage box we’ve got it in and broke it pretty good. They must not have liked the thump thump going on much. They took the carb off, the down stack breather off and threw them in the woods somewhere. We found the breather tube but it was smashed. My uncle is quite handy though and made a mounting plate for it and took a little carb off a 1 ½ hp outboard engine he had, screwed it on the face where the old carb was and guess what…it is no longer a hit and miss engine. It used to run well anyway, but now it next to never misses a beat. 45 years of solid use by us and still going.

I recently found another one about 80 miles from my home in Colorado Springs. I bought it for $40. It is frozen but all the parts are there. I’m going to clean up the items needed and send them to my Uncle for Christmas. He’ll get a kick out of that I’m sure.

I could likely get this one running again, but that wouldn’t help our nostalgia issue with the one up at our camp.

I wanted to know if you had a crank for it? We take the batteries home in the winter so they don’t get destroyed but in the Spring, it takes quite a bit to get the little beasty running the first time. We used to have a crank for it, but that was tossed when it was broke into as well.

I have removed the points and mounting rings on the new one I'm using for parts, (both the big one the points mount to and the little one behind it that slides on the cam.) I can’t figure out how to remove the points housing though. It just sticks out of the motor body but I don’t know if it screws in or if I’ve got to remove something from the inside of the housing to get it off. Any pointers?

One last thing, while cleaning the carb, the tiny feed hole orifice in the bottom center of it, (under the screened screw) I got unplugged with carb cleaner and a fine stiff wire. Do you know the hole size? I wonder if I could find a drill bit the same or just a tad bit bigger that would fit in there. We run the plant on Kerosene and sometimes I wonder if it would run a little better with a sliiiiightly bit bigger hole.

If you’ve got a wiring diagram, I’d like that too. My uncle knows it in his head but I’m a mere 52 and may need one some day when he passes on.
Thanks for your help fellas. Ed