Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler M800A22 Light Plant Operation

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 1695 times

Old 01-08-2010, 03:58:59 PM
Registered

Default Kohler M800A22 Light Plant Operation

The Kohler Model 800 Automatic light plant

This is a document of the electrical operation of a Kohler M800A2 light plant. It does not cover the service and repair of the gasoline engine except where noted.
I have included for reference, pictures, schematics and an explanation of its operation along with some specifications which might be helpful in restoration. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at my e-mail address;
Inyoenterprise@Juno.com

Jack Holloway

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Overview and history.

I obtained this generator in a trade and thought it would be interesting to get it running and restore it. This is not the first of these generators that I have owned. In 1961 I picked one up in very good condition at a place called Darwin, Calif. Darwin is near Death Valley. The generator
was originally used as a light plant at a remote Cal Trans Station. We used this generator for lighting a rural home. Running on propane, this generator ran daily and gave good service for
eight years.

The Generator: This is an 800 watt, 60 hertz, single phase 110 volt generator made by Kohler. It is powered by a Briggs and Stratton single cylinder gasoline engine and it is not meant to be portable. It is, in fact, quite heavy for its size.

Basic Operation: The generator is an automatic start and run light plant with a battery starter. The controller will sense when a load ( light) has been turned on, start the engine and put the generator on line. When the load is turned off the engine will shut down automatically. There is
an other generator similar to this one but used as standby in case of a power failure. The generator and engine are probably similar but the controller is quite different.

I have not researched the history and age of this plant, but I am pretty sure that similar models were made in the 1940's and possibly in the 1930's. This is a late model, but the controller operation should be about the same for all models.

I have added photographs and a schematic of the generator along with an explanation of the operation. Since I had no documentation, I used my own. I hope that this will not be too difficult
to understand..

JKH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M800 Controller.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	70892   Click image for larger version

Name:	M800Schematic.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	70896   Click image for larger version

Name:	M800 Light Plant.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	70897  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M800 Document.pdf (18.2 KB, 83 views)
Sponsored Links